Power line transformer responsibility

Old 07-13-16, 11:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power line transformer responsibility

Most of the time power companies own the transformers that are up on the pole outside of your house. If the power is shut off by the owner for a year or more because they are not using the home ..the power company can remove the transformer to use it somewhere else. So if the owner sells the home the new owner has to pay to have a new one installed. That is how our local coop does it regarding houses that are not paying customers for a year or more.
Is it possible to buy your own transformer on the open market instead of using the Coop equipment??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 02:02 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yes you can buy any equipment you want, but it is extremely unlikely that the local power company will let you attach it to their grid unless they approve the plan in advance. They always have final say on what is and is not allowed. Most power companies have a list of allowed vendors and/or model numbers of allowed distribution equipment. You also would likely be required to set a pole or pad on your property for any customer-owned equipment.

Check with an engineer in their distribution department for policies and rules and customer-owned equipment.

Old 07-13-16, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I've never heard of that. It's the power company's responsibility to supply you with power.

Old 07-13-16, 03:50 PM
L
Received 70 Votes on 64 Posts
I have seen a privately owned transformer inside a commercial building, but never seen one on the pole.
I doubt your power company will let you have your own transformer.

Old 07-14-16, 05:23 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Owning your own transformer I believe is more for commercial/industrial situation,we have owned several padmounts over the years, it has to do with primary metering 15KV ,better rates,but you are responsible for all maintenance.

Old 07-14-16, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
.... and if lightning strikes or any other failure occurs and you own the transformer - the repair/replacement is on you. I'd prefer to let the light company shoulder that responsibility.

Old 07-14-16, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
I don't think they will let you purchase your own transformer.

Transformers inside are step-down transformers, typical when a building is supplied by 277/480, but 120 is still needed for receptacles.

Old 07-15-16, 05:48 PM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
the power company can remove the transformer to use it somewhere else. So if the owner sells the home the new owner has to pay to have a new one installed. That is how our local coop does it regarding houses that are not paying customers for a year or more.
That is such an unusual arrangement that I would consider contacting your state utilities commission about it. In my state it is called the Public Service Commission. I have never heard of the customer having to pay for a transformer just to get service when all the poles and lines are already in place. That being said, I have bought a few pole mounted transformers, but for customers who owned their own overhead distribution system, but those type systems are few and far between.