Can I test a cellphone battery with a multimeter?

Old 07-21-16, 12:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I test a cellphone battery with a multimeter?

I read some posts about it online, but some people said it's possible and others said you'll short circuit the battery? I've never done this before, but I really want to see if I can find out if the battery is still good. It's an old cellphone, and I was thinking of selling the battery.

Old 07-21-16, 05:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You can check the batteries current state of charge with a multimeter by checking it's voltage but you can't really tell if it's "good". Over time a LiPo will have reduced tidal capacity but will show nearly the same voltage when fully charged.

Old 07-22-16, 01:01 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there any way to see if the battery is good? And thanks.

Old 07-22-16, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
How do you define "good"?

With a multimeter the only thing you can check it's voltage and determine it's state of charge.

The only way to tell if it has it's rated capacity is to discharge it and record the amount of energy taken out. More common though is to use a charger that is capable of recording the energy put back in during the charge cycle.

Old 07-22-16, 06:34 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
...use a charger that is capable of recording the energy put back in during the charge cycle.
And if you can't verify performance by testing with proper equipment it's best to list the battery as "untested" and just accept that you'll get less money for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: