Adding dimmer to 4-way lights

Old 07-23-16, 11:35 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Adding dimmer to 4-way lights

I have a few hallway lights controlled by 3 switches. I converted them to LED cans and they are way too bright. I bought a 3-way dimmer. '

Not knowing how the electrical was done originally, I removed the first switch that had 2 orange and 1 black wire and wired in the dimmer. The dimmer worked, but only when the other 2 switches were in a certain configuration.

I replaced the original switch and moved on to the next one that had the same 2 orange, 1 black configuration and tried replacing that. Same outcome.

The last switch I pulled out of the 3 has 4 orange wires. I am not sure what to do to get this working.

Old 07-23-16, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Going to need the make and model of the dimmer you're trying to install.

I have never had good results with the dimmers that use the existing switches. I use the Lutron Maestro dimmers where slave controls are used in place of the switches.

Old 07-23-16, 12:32 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
[Edit: missed the part about LED!]

Old 07-23-16, 12:54 PM
M
I am trying to use a Lutron MACL-153.

The directions tell me to do something in another switch box. That strikes me as odd. I installed one of these in another 4 -way setup with no issue. I also don't know the layout of the wiring of the 3 switches.

I did set the dimmer as a master (step 9).

Old 07-23-16, 12:58 PM
M
I am trying to use a Lutron MACL-153.

The directions tell me to do something in another switch box. That strikes me as odd. I installed one of these in another 4 -way setup with no issue. I also don't know the layout of the wiring of the 3 switches.

I did set the dimmer as a master (step 9).
Let me correct that. The other one I installed is a non-electronic dimmer with a decora button and simple little slider next to the switch.

If this would work in this case, I am not against doing that.

Old 07-23-16, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Did the original 3 way switches work correctly? It sounds like a common was transposed with a traveler.

Old 07-23-16, 01:42 PM
M
Yes. They worked fine.

Just to verify it, I put the original switches back in place and it works no matter where I turn the light on or off from.

Old 07-23-16, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Make sure the common wire from the odd colored screw goes to the common on the new switch. The other two do not matter.

Old 07-23-16, 02:39 PM
M
I looked at my other 4-way situation that works and at the dimmer. I just went and bought the same one (Lutron DVCL-153PR) and it works fine.

I think that other dimmer is setup differently as it says it can be used in a 3-way situation, but all 3 screws are a different color. I'll save that one for a single pole application.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-23-16, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The MACL is the perfect dimmer to use. That is exactly what I use. However Lutron shows several different diagrams using the existing/standard three way switch but I've found that they don't all work.

When I install the Maestro dimmers... I always use the Lutron MA-R-WH Maestro companion dimmer and never have any problems.

Old 07-23-16, 03:35 PM
M
When I install the Maestro dimmers... I always use the Lutron MA-R-WH Maestro companion dimmer and never have any problems.
Probably a good idea. I just wasn't familiar with them.

There is added cost, but it looks like you can dim from any switch. If a switch goes out, you need to replace it with the same though.

I just had another Lutron dimmer (single pole) go out and it is less than 2 years old and rarely used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: