Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Process for Tapping a Junction Box - Choosing which one to use

Old 07-26-16, 09:46 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me the general procedure for tapping power from a junction box? What I mean is how to decide what box to use (not how to complete the actual wiring). I'm probably overanalyzing, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything obvious. I'm going to install an inline booster fan for my dryer vent. Since it will be in the attic, I should be able to find a suitable circuit. There are at least 6 different junction boxes that I see. Should I start by looking at the closest one?

Aside from the following, is there anything that I'm missing?

1. Find out what's on the circuit that I'm planning to tap. Avoid kitchen, bathroom, etc.
2. Verify box fill calculation.
3. Ensure that circuit is sufficient to handle additional load.

Old 07-26-16, 09:52 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think you've pretty well nailed it. Implicit in what you said is the first step...determine if the device to be added requires a dedicated circuit; a dryer booster fan does not fall into that category.

Old 07-26-16, 01:57 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
I'd be trying to figure out a better, shorter way to run the dryer vent or relocating before I'd be installing an inline blower.
I've been to way to many drier fires and makes me cringe when I see things like this done.

Old 07-26-16, 02:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd be trying to figure out a better, shorter way to run the dryer vent or relocating before I'd be installing an inline blower.
I've been to way to many drier fires and makes me cringe when I see things like this done.
I wish I could find a shorter way, but 19' is the closest I am able to do. There are also two elbows. My laundry room is not on an outside wall. The duct used to be much shorter, but I had an addition put on the back of my house. The closest run is up the wall, through the garage attic, and out the side. I wrote a thread about it in the ventilation forum.

Do you mean that the inline blowers actually increase the risk of a fire? The reason that I'm installing one is because I thought that it would decrease the risk. I was planning to buy one of the Fantech units. I was also considering an inline lint trap. I still intend to have my vent cleaned at least once a year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: