Lost power after installing a light...no breakers tripped

Old 08-05-16, 10:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lost power after installing a light...no breakers tripped

So, I'm redoing the electrical work in the garage that my grandfather did in 1960, and came across a light box (forget the proper term off hand) in the middle of the garage with a 14-2 coming right from the breaker, splitting off at the light fixture, into another light and power outlet at one location, and the light switch at the entrance to the garage...and then to a power outlet from the light switch...

What I ended up doing was removing the wiring in the light fixture thing (that received wiring direct from breaker) that went to the outlet and light in another location of the garage...of course wiring black to black and white to white...I found a red wire within the box that ran to the now removed power outlet, and connected to a red wire going to the light switch...I just covered the red wire by itself...

Everything worked, the light and all the power to the outlet and switches...I then stayed in the garage to listen to a ballgame (bout 2 hours)...and then upon turning off the light switch, I heard the power to the fridge we have in the garage go out (not on same breaker), so I flipped the light switch back on, and nothing worked...I have now lost power to the garage, after just turning off and on the switch...no breakers in the garage or the house went off...I have no clue what happened...anybody able to help? Thanks

Last edited by ray2047; 08-05-16 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Add paragraph spacing.
Old 08-05-16, 10:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
no breakers in the garage or the house went off.
You can't tell just by looking. You have to turn them all the way off then back on. Did you?

Old 08-05-16, 10:53 PM
S
Yes, I flipped all the breakers in the garage off then on again...same with the one that is labeled "garage" that is in the house...I didn't touch the other ones that are in the house though

Old 08-05-16, 10:54 PM
H
I agree with Ray if your breakers are very old then they can sometimes be tripped but still look like they are on. This happened at a former rental house I still own but am in the process of selling. Our former tenant was doing laundry in the dryer when suddenly everything stopped and the breaker had tripped but it didn't show as being tripped. You may possibly have the same situation and if so you need to replace the breaker and inspect the box.

As to the wiring I believe you have miswired your light and should have kept in the red wire instead of using the black and white wires. I do some wiring but I also am not an electrician so I will let one of the electricians explain what you did wrong. In the mean time check your panel box and start flipping switches but use a flashlight and keep the lights off for now.

Check the house breaker too and look for one marked garage and flip that breaker too.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 08-05-16 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-06-16, 12:15 AM
String, Hedge posted the same time you posted so he didn't see your reply you flipped the breakers.

Am I correct this is a detached garage and it has a subpanel?

Is the wiring cable or conduit with individual wires?

I don't understand fully what you did. It might be simpler to do this from scratch. If wiring it from scratch I'd run power to the switch and from the switch I'd run one 14-2 NM-b to the receptacle and one 14-2 NMb to the light. If additional receptacles were needed I would daisy chain them from the first receptacle. If additional lights were needed I would daisy chain them from the first light.

If there is no ground with the wiring by code it can't be extended or modified* so you will need to run new wiring. If you do have continuous metal conduit and metal boxes it is grounded. If old style BX cable without a bonding strip ground is iffy at best.

*Existing wiring without ground is grandfathered but any changes voids the grandfathering and the circuit must then meet current code which requires grounds.

Old 08-06-16, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Did you look for a tripped GFI ?

Old 08-06-16, 09:55 AM
S
Ray - yeah it's a detached garage, it appears to be conduit running under a slab of concrete from the house to the garage. I'm probably gonna start from scratch now. Still have no power, only one GFI switch, which wasn't effected but I did a test on it, and now it wont reset. So I'm gonna get a electrician to come look at it now. I'm just mostly confused as to why everything was working after I changed things up, and then turning the light switch off then on again would have stopped the power, shouldn't it have just not powered up when I restored power after the initial install.

Old 08-06-16, 11:02 AM
I don't really have an as to why. Somethings can only be solved hands on and sometimes not even then. Had a problem in my own home I never solved. I just ended up rewiring.

Old 08-06-16, 11:05 AM
S
Well I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions Ray. I got a family member who's an electrician that was out of town and just came back today, he's gonna have a look at it hopefully soon...thanks much

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: