How to wire fan + heater

Old 08-07-16, 08:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire fan + heater

I am an electrical neophyte so please pardon the lack of clarity. I purchased a nu-tone model 9427P combination heater (with 2 250W bulbs) with a fan. I wanted to put a timer on both the heater and fan. The wiring instructions provided, for the choice I selected which is both lamps come on together and the fan separately, are for a dual control on/off switch as shown in Figure 1. All of the other switches, etc. in this remodel job are Lutron but I was unable to find a dual control Lutron timer. But I do have two Lutron timers model MA-T51. Currently, the power to the location where I want to place the combo heater/fan is a four wire, 12 gauge Romex (red-black-white-ground). Can I use the Lutron timers to independently control the fans and heaters? Or is there a better way? Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-16, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a three wire NM-b cable w/ground. When we discuss cable.... the ground is not used in the count but it does need to be connected.

You could very well use the two separate timers but that would involve removing the existing box and installing a two gang box. Not a hard job but depends what the existing box is and how it's mounted. If you were to turn the circuit off, pull the switch out of the wall without disconnecting the wiring, shoot a picture and post it here we could help you further.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-08-16, 08:25 AM
M
Thanks so much for the response. Here is a photo (Figure 2) of the switch with the drywall removed. The romex are labeled (1)-(5). To reiterate, I wanted to place the heater and fan onto independent timers along with a separate on/off switch for the vanity light. Assuming the white is neutral and black hot, all of the neautral were wire-nutted together previously and only the black wires went to the switches.
(1) This is the 3-wire that goes went to the previous heater. The red wire was not connected to anything at the heater end.
(2) This goes away from the junction box. Romex (1) and (2) turned the previous heater on/off via the left hand switch hanging out.
(3) this romex goes to another switch on the other side of the bathroom wall
(4) this romex goes to the vanity light
(5) this romex goes away to another location
I was originally planning to put a 3-gang junction box with two independent timers and an on/off switch but couldn't figure out how to wire it. (See Figure 1). PS: the house was built around 1975. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-16, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Lot of cables there. ID'ing the cables was important since you'll need to open all the connections to be able to remove the cables from the box.

BUT... hold on. You said the red wire in cable 1 was unconnected in the heater. In the picture it is connected to a three way switch. That tells me that three way switch has a mate and that it may not go directly to the heater.

It looks to me like cable 1 comes from a second switch and cable 2 goes to the heater.

Looking at cables 3,4 and 5 it appears that they are only connected to the right switch.... correct ?

Old 08-08-16, 10:56 AM
M
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
a. Except for a GFI outlet, and the vanity light switch, there are no switches in the bathroom. If there is another switch, it must be somewhere else in the house. I am not sure if it is relevant, but there is electrical continuity between the red wire in the box and the red wire in the heater location. At the heater end of the red wire, it had been clipped off flush and does not appear as if it was every attached to anything. The heater is located about three feet up, and three feet out, from the junction box on the ceiling.
b. You say "Looking at cables 3,4 and 5 it appears that they are only connected to the right switch.... correct ?" Yes, that is correct.

Old 08-08-16, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Then it appears that cable 2 is the feed to the heater and cable 1 connects the box to the heater. I've changed the diagram to show two switches.

Name:  Figure 1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  32.5 KB

Old 08-08-16, 12:17 PM
M
Pete: Thank you very much for your help, patience and very valuable guidance. I would have never figured that out on my own. The quick responses were much appreciated. It will take me a couple of days to install the heater/fan to test.

It's almost like having a knowledgeable and patient electrician looking over my shoulder and helping!

Thanks again!
Moogy

Old 08-08-16, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
No problem. Let us know how you make out when done and if there are any questions before then... ask away.