Control electronic thermostat/wall heater with timer

Old 08-16-16, 10:26 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Control electronic thermostat/wall heater with timer

I want to control a wall heater (Cadet Apex72, 120 volt, 1500 watts) with a countdown timer, so that if someone forgets to turn it off, the timer will take care of it.

The heater requires a line voltage electronic thermostat to operate correctly (Aube TH114, single pole, 120 volt, non-programmable, no battery, microprocessor, relay).

Can I safely put a Leviton LTB countdown timer (single pole, 1800 Watt Incandescent, 600W CFL, 5A LED, 20 amp Resistive/Inductive) in series with the thermostat and heater: power-->timer-->thermostat-->heater?

Things to consider:

- What effect will power cuts/power restoration (from the timer) have on the thermostat? That is:
- Will it damage the thermostat if the temperature is set below room temperature? Above room temperature?
- How long will it take to start back up?
- What temperature setting will it default to?

What if the sequence was power--> thermostat--> timer-->heater? Now the thermostat will always be powered, but could turn off and on fairly often as the temperature of the room fluctuates. How will that effect the timer if the timer is on? Off?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-16, 01:39 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Your proposal would not damage anything, however the thermostat might lose its temp setting when the timer cuts power. If you use a mechanical t-stat it will not be affected by losing power. It should come back on instantly when you reset your countdown timer. Some t-stats will remember the last setting, some will go to a neutral value. I don't know how that particular model behaves.

Another possibility which I do in my shop is to use a programmable thermostat and put a program action in to run every day at a particular time to drop the temp way down low so if I forget to turn it down when I leave, the program will kick in in the evening and drop the setting down.

Old 08-16-16, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
If you use a timer that cuts power completely to the heater..... how will the bathroom stay warm ?

Things to consider:

- What effect will power cuts/power restoration (from the timer) have on the thermostat?
That is:- Will it damage the thermostat if the temperature is set below room temperature? Above room temperature?

As discussed.... the thermostat may loose programming but will not be damaged.

- How long will it take to start back up?
It will not start back up. If the timer is open.... there will be no heat... period.

- What temperature setting will it default to?
Again... if the timer is open.... there will be no heat.

If that heater is the primary heat in that room..... a timer can't be used on it.

Old 08-17-16, 03:49 AM
D
Documentation for the thermostat suggests that it remembers its previous mode and temperature setting after power is cut off even though it doesn't have a battery.

The questions about starting back up and default temperature assumed that someone activates the timer again.

The heater is not the primary source of heat (is that a building code issue?)

The heater cannot be used with a mechanical thermostat.

Old 08-17-16, 10:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The heater cannot be used with a mechanical thermostat.
Why not? .

Old 08-17-16, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
The heater is not the primary source of heat (is that a building code issue?)
Not at all but since it's only an additional heater it should only need a timer and not a timer and thermostat.

Old 08-17-16, 12:18 PM
D
Cadet says I have to use a thermostat, and it has to be electronic. I decided not to argue on that point. Doesn't make much sense to me, as one could simply crank up the temperature setting and it would behave as if there was no thermostat.