Where to install a surge protector for a driveway gate

Old 08-23-16, 06:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to install a surge protector for a driveway gate

The circuit board in the control box of my driveway gate was broken after a recent power outrage. I'd like to have a surge protector to protect my drive gate. The problem is that the control box has limited space (see the picture). So I cannot plug in a surge protector and then plug a transformer above this surge protector. The power line for the driveway gate is directly connected to the breakers panel where it is difficult to plug in a surge protector. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 07:00 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
A panel-mounted surge protector in your main panel would be the best first step. There are a few different styles which will provide a good level of protection for everything in the house. It's also a good time to evaluate your earth grounding system as surge protectors of any type are not effective if the surge cannot dissipate into the soil.

At the gate, you could use a receptacle with built-in surge protection. These are OK, but not as effective as a panel mounted option.

Old 08-23-16, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
I would agree with a TVSS (transient voltage surge suppressor) receptacle at the gate. If there is a surge from an outside lightning strike it can induce a high voltage on the cable coming from the panel.

Adding a whole house TVSS at the panel is also a good idea.