Running electricity

Old 09-08-16, 10:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running electricity

I have a shed two feet from my house that I'd like to put electricity and light fixtures in, how hard or easy would this be? Or would it just be better to see an licensed electricity ? If so how much would that cost since the electrical box is roughly thirty feet or so from my shed. Thank you in advance.

It is a mobile home so it does have a crawl space , if that would matter any.

Thanks, DIYKid

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-16, 10:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming 20 amps will be adequate install a 20 amp breaker in the breaker panel and run 12-2 UF-b under the MH to as close as you can get to the shed then bury it 24" deep from the MH to the shed.

Where it leaves the ground to go into the shed sleeve it with " PVC. You will need a code required disconnect. This can be a 20 amp "light" switch in the shed but another way is to mount an unfused pull out 60 amp air condition disconnect switch on the outside (about $6), bring your conduit into the bottom of it and the cable for the shed out the back and into the shed. NM-b 12-2 cable can be used from the disconnect and into the shed for other wiring.

The first receptacle in the shed needs to be a GFCI the others receptacles can be non GFCI run from the load side of the first GFCI receptacles. Best not to put the lights on the GFCI. That way if you trip the GFCI you aren't left in the dark.

There are variations on the above but that is the basics.

Old 09-09-16, 06:16 AM
P
Received 100 Votes on 80 Posts
If the circuit is 120V and is 20 amps or less you can use GFCI protection at the source and the buried depth to the shed can be reduced to 12 inches of cover.