Suggested outlet placement for 10x15 living room?

Old 09-19-16, 07:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggested outlet placement for 10x15 living room?

Hi everyone,

I am wiring outlets for my 10'x15' living room. How many outlets should I put in? Are there any code requirements for min# of outlets and distance?

Also, I am installing a gas fireplace insert. It is rather small but is there a code for how much space must be from the fireplace to any outlets?

I plan on having one 15 amp circuit power the living room, including the LED recessed lights (low amp) and the porch light.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-16, 08:17 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
No point on a wall should be further than 6' from an outlet and any space 2' or larger requires an outlet,not aware of any requirements for the gas insert, AFCI breaker will be required for that circuit,and 1 circuit should be fine.

Old 09-19-16, 08:36 AM
P
Received 103 Votes on 82 Posts
Remember code is the minimum so don't cut yourself short on the outlets.

Old 09-19-16, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
For my house I can never have to many. Follow the minimums but try to think of any place you think you might want one.

Old 09-19-16, 11:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The guideline for general purpose lighting and receptacle circuits is to provision 3 watts per square foot; that means a 15A circuit is reasonable for an area of about 600 square feet of general living space. This does not apply to specific or built-in appliances, which should have circuits specifically designed.

General receptacle spacing is governed by the 6/12 rule. You must have a receptacle within 6 feet of any doorway or wall break, and every 12 feet thereafter. The distance is measured along the baseboard and continues around inside corners. Any wall space greater than 2 feet requires at least one receptacle. You can put as many more receptacles as you wish, but they must at least meet the 6/12 rule.

A living room requires at least one switched fixed light or lamp receptacle.

The fireplace insert should be wired per the manufacturer instructions (they're all a bit different). Generally if you don't know ahead of time, leave a couple feet of romex hanging out looped in the rough opening so you can accommodate the insert when you buy it.