AlumiConns for aluminum/copper connection

Old 09-19-16, 12:53 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question AlumiConns for aluminum/copper connection

Hi all,

I have a 1972 house and it's all aluminium wiring, so far has been quite, no problems but last night i just realized one of the outlets started to make a noise and some lights on my house start to flash, i had to remove the fuse and check the outlet which had started to burn from inside and the aluminium wire was loose.

I know that rewiring the house will be a permanent solution but seems very expensive and i am looking for other alternatives. Pig-tailing is one which seems as a solution but not 100% save. Doing some research i came across this product from King Innovation Company:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 430
Size:  49.8 KB

I have checked Reno Depot and Home Depot but i don't see it, i want to know your opinion, is this something i should consider or is not something tested and trusted by Canadians? I can go with Pig-tailing but i have seen some scary images on the net and thought this might by a better solution.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-16, 12:58 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The AlumiConn connectors are the only DIY recommended treatment for aluminum wiring by the US Product Safety Commission. I do not know if the connectors have regulatory approval in Canada, but they do seem to be much safer than either doing nothing or using the purple wirenuts, which have been shown to have no better safety stats than plain wirenuts.

The other approved method is the COPALUM system by Tyco/AMP which is sold only through authorized contractors, but again I don't know its status in Canada.

A recommendation I would make is to upgrade your service panel as fuses are very obsolete at this point and provide little protection. A breaker panel with AFCI breakers could provided significantly better protection for branch circuits wired with aluminum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: