Rewiring an entire house

Old 09-26-16, 02:26 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rewiring an entire house

My wife and I are planning on buying a fixer upper house. It seems the majority of the wiring in the house has been ripped out. Is this something I can fix on my own or should I bring in a professional? it's a small 884 square foot 3-bedroom house. I am an automotive repair technicians I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I don't really do electrical so I'm not sure if I should attempt this myself or call a professional.

Old 09-26-16, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 155 Likes on 137 Posts
The first question to your building officials should be can you get a homeowners permit or do you need a licensed contractor. Another would be how familiar are you with the electrical codes or how many hours do you need to spend learning them to prevent mistakes.

It can certainly be done but it is not the same for everyone.

Old 09-26-16, 06:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
It's a big job so other than what PCBoss stated, I would be wondering whether it's worth your time to learn the rules, plot out all of the circuits, pull all the wires/cables, make all the connections, ... or if you should stick to making money at work with your time and hire this out.

Do you see yourself buying more houses like this in the future? If so, that changes the argument.

Old 09-26-16, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You said the wiring is ripped out. Does that mean all the walls are open ?

Old 09-27-16, 07:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe find a local electrician who needs some work on his truck...? I hate working on engines. :-)

Seriously it's something you can learn and with some patience do it yourself. Get the book Wiring Simplified and read that cover-to-cover. It's cheap, short and a great resource on code and technique for this kind of project. It will teach you enough to know what kinds of questions to ask.

Old 09-27-16, 07:26 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
About how old is this house?
Fuses or breakers?
What size panel?
Reason I ask is just about any older home I've worked on unless someone did some up grading will be under powered for all the modern devices we now have and it's possible this would have to be addressed all the way back to the power pole, and a new breaker box.
It was very common years ago to not have enough outlets, no grounds, no GFI's, kitchen bathrooms sharing circuits with other rooms, only one circuit to the outlets over the counter, no 20 amp. circuits to kitchen and outlets, if there's going to be window A/C's used there really should be another unshared 20 amp circuit.
One house I own only had a 60 amp. fuse box with a sub panel on the outside for the water heater, they kept blowing fuses so the old owner had wrapped the fuse with aluminum foil which ended up catching on fire.
Good thing it was on the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: