Washer and GAS Dryer on Dedicated Line?

Old 09-30-16, 05:15 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer and GAS Dryer on Dedicated Line?

I recently relocated my Washer and GAS Dryer in my basement and in running the electric, I ran new 12/2 wire with a 20amp breaker. But I have the wiring connected to about 6 outlets along the way to the washer and dryer.

And I should add that the new location required adding a utility pump to the sink to pump the water back up and over to the main drain line.

I've have no issues so far in running everything and only have just 1 lamp plugged into the extra outlets currently so far. But I do have potential plans to mount a TV and other electronics along that circuit in the future.

Will this be ok long term or is it also code that the Washer and GAS dryer needs to be on a dedicated line?

Old 09-30-16, 05:26 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A laundry should have a dedicated GFCI protected 20 amp circuit.

Old 09-30-16, 09:00 AM
P
Thanks,

But is it Should, or Required?

I can add a GFCI outlet as well. But is a GFCI outlet required or only recommended?

I can go and fix, change it to a dedicated line once I get the rest of my basement walls framed out and run the other electrical if it is actually required. Everything is pretty open and easy access for now. Just trying to confirm if it is actually Code or not in needing to be a dedicated line.

Separate issue, but I know when I installed an OTR microwave in the past that does require a separate dedicated line per Code (I think).

Old 09-30-16, 09:55 AM
P
Received 274 Upvotes on 231 Posts
Depends on the code you are on. 2014 NEC now requires laundry areas to be GFCI. But because it's in the basement it needs to be GFCI protected under a different code requirement if the area is unfinished and not a habitable area.

Old 09-30-16, 10:01 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The code states that a 20A GFCI circuit is required for the "laundry area". It does not specifically say which laundry appliances it is for. I think it is reasonable for the washer, gas dryer, and occasional iron or steamer is ok on this circuit, or for something like receptacles around a folding table. It probably should not serve other rooms or functional areas in the basement.

I don't think an ejection pump should be on this circuit, that sounds like a dedicated circuit.

Old 09-30-16, 10:03 AM
P
Ok, I think I likely need a GFCI outlet for certain, and will add that in.

But I also think it does not need to actually be a dedicated line? And If that is true, I should add/replace with a GFCI outlet as the first outlet coming out of the Main Panel?

Or on further reading, the code can be a bit confusing. I think perhaps I need a dedicated line to the 'laundry room'. but that line inside that room can be used for both laundry equipment and any thing else if needed.

So I probably do need to run a dedicated line straight to the gang box of the washer dryer and then replace with a GFCI outlet.

The ejection pump is from Hartell. When installing that I do not remember anything there about a separate line being needed for it.

https://www.amazon.com/LTA-1-ABC-HAR...9MRAZJS47D3T77

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: