strange problem with circuit breaker

Old 10-09-16, 10:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
strange problem with circuit breaker

Hi folks,

A few days ago i started having a problem.the power in one of the bedrooms would randomly go off and then come back on,and sometimes it wouldn`t come back on.when i checked the circuit breaker it wasn`t tripped so i turned it off and then back on and the power came back on.
yesterday when the power went off i turned the breaker off but before i could turn it back on my wife yelled that the power was back on,i told her the power can`t be on because the breaker is still turned off.i looked and the power and lights were on even though the breaker was off,so i turned the breaker back on and the power stayed on.
At first i thought it was a problem with the breaker,since it didn`t trip when the power went off, but now i`m thinking it`s more than just the breaker since the power was on even when the breaker was turned off.
if it`s just the breaker i can replace that but if it`s more than just the breaker i`ll call a professional, so what do you think is it just the breaker or something more?

Old 10-09-16, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
We had a similar thread not too long ago: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...w-voltage.html which turned out to be a bad breaker. The circuit you have could be part of multi-wire circuit with an open neutral which would explain the power coming back on with the breaker off.

I suggest start at the breaker with a multimeter and check to see if you have 120 volts at the breaker(s). If you have 120 volts at the breaker in question with the breaker off, then you may have a loose neutral and something is back feeding on a multiwire circuit.

Old 10-09-16, 02:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The electric company was just outside working on something,they turned the electric off for the whole street for about 30 minutes,i wonder if the problem was with them?
the same day i noticed the problem my neighbor came by and said his living room electric kept going off randomly and when he checked the circuit breaker it wasn`t tripped,i told him i`m having the exact same problem with a bedroom.

it must have been important for the electric company to come out on a sunday,i`ll keep an eye on the bedroom for a few days and see if the problem happens again.

Old 10-09-16, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
If you suspect something is wrong with your incoming power similar to your neighbor you should call the power company. Call the 24-hour service line. They will come and inspect their wires for free 24/7/365 for free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: