Replacing space heater power cord

Old 10-11-16, 03:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing space heater power cord

I need to replace the power cord on my 1980s space heater, a Lelonghi "The Incredible Heat Machine". It goes to 1500 Watts.

It's a 2-wire cord, and it needs to pass through an opening in sheet metal with a rubber gasket that protects the cord from being cut on the sharp edge of the sheet metal. The rubber gasket exactly fits the cord, so I don't see going to a 3-wire grounded cord, as it would have a larger cross section.

The cord says:

HPN E56356 VW-1 90(degrees)C TA HSING 16AWGX2C CSA HPN CR 90(degrees)C LL 38816 16AWGX2C FT2 HEATER CORD (symbol) 344002

(I realize there are redundancies there, but that's how it reads.)

I was told to replace it with the 16-2 cut lamp wire at Home Depot. But the insulation on this "heater wire" is slightly thicker. Should I be concerned about that? If so, where would I find this "heater wire"?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-16, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Here is a site with cords . scroll down and you will see csa.
http://www.chinapowercords.com/ameri...cord_yy-2.html
or goggle this, appliance cords 16AWGX2C CSA

Old 10-11-16, 03:30 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Most "real" hardware stores will have pre-made heater cords with the plug already attached. Check any local Ace or True Value type stores.
andy

Old 10-11-16, 05:44 PM
G
Thanks all, on another forum I was advised to look under the term "applicance cord", which led me to this:

AceĀ® 16/2-HPN Small 7ft Appliance Replacement Cord - Appliance Extension Cords - Ace Hardware

Also, that person mentioned that an iron would use the same type of cord, which reminded me that I have a malfunctioning iron that I hadn't tossed yet. I checked the cord on that iron and it's markings are much the same as the space heater's, including the term "heater cord". And its insulation is as thick as the space heater's cord. Bonus, it's over 8 feet long, longer than the replacement appliance cord at Ace in the link above. So I removed the cord from the malfunctioning iron and tossed it, and I'll use that for the space heater.

Old 10-13-16, 07:31 PM
G
Just to follow up, I've installed the "heater cord" power cord from the iron and it's working fine now.

Old 10-13-16, 08:00 PM
Received 91 Votes on 81 Posts
I see you solved your problem, but for anyone else reading this, I have also seen 2 and 3 wire replacement appliance cords at Lowes near the extension cords.