Disconnecting doorbell

Old 10-13-16, 08:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting doorbell

I have a house built in the 60's and it has an ugly doorbell above the kitchen cupboards. I want to get rid of this and just get one of those doorbells that plug into a wall outlet. I'm remodeling the kitchen so I want to take it down and patch the hole and paint. There appears to be electrical wires running to it. I'm not sure how to properly disconnect it and remove it. I have included pictures of the doorbell I'm trying to remove.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-16, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,168 Votes on 1,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

People that use or have used those wireless doorbell systems would kill to have a wired doorbell. They are a constant maintenance issue and the push button uses a battery pretty quickly.

If you want to remove the doorbell and disable the wiring you need to find the transformer that supplies that with +/- 16vac and disconnect the two wires from it.

Could look like in the picture. Could be installed on the side of the panel or on the side of an electrical box in the basement, crawl space or attic.

Name:  xfrmr.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  5.3 KB

Old 10-14-16, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I agree with Pete people would kill to have a wired door bell. If it is ugly do a quick google search of door bells and you will find many nice one's, Fairly cheap. To disconnect it I would find transformer and take wires off there.

Old 10-14-16, 06:03 AM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Considered changing just the chime to a better looking one?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-14-16 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Link removed
Old 10-14-16, 01:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I never thought of replacing the chime. I may just do that. I don't have many people come to the door and use the doorbell so it didn't bother me if it were gone but it may just be easier to get a new chime or cover.