Portable generator for power outage

Old 10-17-16, 02:56 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable generator for power outage

Does anyone have any recommended portable generator brands? Looking at these Kohler portable generators. NZ - Christchurch is where I live & want to make sure I'm covered in the small chance of another earthquake. thanks!

Old 10-17-16, 03:53 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the primarily North American forums. We don't have too much information on local stuff down under, so looking for reviews on the brands you have available will help you greatly.

Old 10-17-16, 04:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
While I don't have advice about generators available in your area I can offer some general advice and observations.

Fuel: What fuel for a generator can be a very important decision. When the power goes out gasoline stations are unable to pump fuel. So, if you have a gasoline or diesel powered generator you should keep a good stock of fuel. Diesel stores moderately well but gasoline has a short shelf life that makes keeping a reserve at home rather labor intensive to keep the fuel rotated and fresh. In your situation propane is probably the best if you have the space for a storage tank. Propane stores indefinitely and you don't have a problem with varnish in the carburetor like is possible with old, stale gasoline. Propane also allows you to store your fuel at your home. Natural gas is an option but you are reliant on the pipeline system functioning after a disaster.

Generator Size: Carefully consider what you want to power during an outage. Everyone first thinks of a few lights, a tv and keeping the fridge cold which is fine for a short outage. Think of what you will need/want if the power is out for a week or more. I've lived through two, week+ long outages during the peak summer heat and humidity and air conditioning in at least one room for sleeping can be surprisingly important. If your home has a heat pump do you have a backup plan for heat? Also consider what you will do for water and if you will want hot water.

Money: When the power is out and phone and network lines are down credit cards do not work. Keep enough cash on hand to purchase what you may need during an outage. During one outage a local gas station brought in a generator so they could pump gas but the network was down so they only accepted cash.

Old 10-18-16, 11:54 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yahama and Honda both make very nice portable generators which I assume will be available in your country. Yamaha even has a line that is dual- or tri- fuel compatible (natural gas, propane or gasoline) although I'm not sure if they come that way from the factory or you still have to use a conversion kit. This gives you flexibility for long-term fuel storage and also the ability to use gasoline if you need to.

Old 10-18-16, 04:21 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
My Kubota 6500 came with the house and ran off gas, until one day I was fiddling with the shed doors and a hose fell down......duh......propane!! So now, I cleaned the gas tank, and run it off propane. Much smoother and you don't have to fill the gas tank every two hours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: