Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need help with 240 thermostat hook up - to carry power onward?

Old 11-02-16, 12:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a bathroom baseboard with its own control on it. This baseboard would not come on unless the bedroom thermostat was ON. I opened up the box and disconnected all wires, confirmed the line coming in ... see diagram.
Can someone confirm how these wires are to be connected so the two baseboards run off the thermostat and the bathroom heater is on its own. thanksName:  240 Thermostat Hook Up.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 11-02-16, 12:26 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
The two bedroom baseboards connect to the load side of the bedroom thermostat and the power in connects to the feed to the bathroom and also to the line side of the bedroom thermostat. I assume the bedroom thermostat is rated to handle the two baseboards.

Old 11-02-16, 12:47 PM
M
I connected baseboards to the load, makes sense to me ... then the black power to line in on bedroom thermostat and to black of the bathroom heater which will function on own. What about the white wire to bathroom heater ... to the other line wire on thermostat? with the white from the power in? This is what I did do ... bathroom heater ended up independent, one bedroom heater came on without thermostat being on and the other one didn't work. My connections in my caps may be not great? Not sure about rating on thermostat, don't see anything written .. it is for two 5 foot heaters?

Old 11-02-16, 01:23 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
With 240V both the black and white are hot(Line). So the power-in black and white hook to the line side of the T-stat. You should tape(identify) the white as a black or red to identify it as a hot(line).

Make sure you have the 2 line connections (L1&L2) and 2 load connections (T1&T2) identified correctly on the T-stat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72720[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-02-16, 03:40 PM
M
OK, I understand about the white being hot and how to hook up for the two baseboards from the load side but ... it is the line to the bathroom heater I am questioning. So can you tell me what I should be doing with the white and black on the bathroom heater as it is NOT controlled by this thermostat but has its own dial on it. You mentioned it is to be connected to the line side so ...twist & cap black power in, black(bath heater) and line in- on T stat (L1)... then what do I do with the white wire from bath heater wire? if the white power in is hot ....? twist and cap off the white power in, white from bath heater and L2 of T Stat (line)?

Old 11-02-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Do you want the bathroom to run on its own self contained thermostat or a second wall mounted one ?

If you want the bathroom to operate on its internal one..... just supply it 240v line power before the thermostat in the other room.

Name:  stat diagram.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  21.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-02-16 at 07:59 PM. Reason: replaced diagram
Old 11-02-16, 05:00 PM
M
Wow, thanks for your time... this thermostat says Line is the two red wires on top and load is the two black wires at bottom ? Yes bathroom baseboard has small internal thermostat.

Old 11-02-16, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I replaced the diagram with a better one.

Grounds are not shown but are expected to get connected together.
The wiring is going to be very tight in that box.

Old 11-03-16, 08:22 AM
M
Tight it is. Many thanks to yourself and pattenp for all of your help.. greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: