How can I extend the wiring here?

Old 11-14-16, 02:14 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I extend the wiring here?

I am re doing my basement and the wiring is to tight on the walls. I will be framing out the basement and adding a few outlets. What options do I have to extend this so It'll be long enough to get through the newly Sheetrocked walls?

The picture is attached.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-16, 02:23 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Got a few issues going on there that need to be addressed before even thinking about finishing the walls.
Sure looks like a moisture issue near the floor.
The wiring you have there now never should have been run that way in the first place and it looks like 14-2 wire.
To do this right you need to be building new 2 X 4 walls making sure they do not touch the foundation, there's a few thousand post on this one subject if you use the search funtion under insulation.
Also using fiberglass instead of foam to seam the rim joist was a poor idea, it does not stop air flow and will tend to mold up.

Old 11-14-16, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It looks like the cable just runs down the wall and then into a hole punched in the block to get into the box. If so, a junction can be added near the ceiling to allow a longer cable to be spliced on. The splice will need to stay permanently accessible.

Old 11-16-16, 06:59 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I plan on insulating the wall with a foam insulator that I will glue on the wall and will be running that all the way to the joists to add more insulation. I have just spliced the outlets at the ceiling and ran an extended line down the wall where my outlets will be.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-16, 07:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have just spliced the outlets at the ceiling
Did you use permanently accessible junction boxes?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: