finding interior wall from crawl space

Old 11-15-16, 05:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finding interior wall from crawl space

I've read and I think the best solution is to use a flexible drill bit, going through a wall jack plate cutout in drywall, and auger down through sill base through to crawl. My question is, do they make an electronic device, similar to a stud finder, but would have a remote sensor. I imagine this remote sensor would lay next to the wall I want to find. Take the handheld and go into to crawl. Locate the remote sensor, measure a few inches over, and drill up through to the above wall. Does something like this exist?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 06:12 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi drmax,
There are many ways and many here will be along with thoughts.
1. Studs are usually 16" on center.
2. They are usually positioned directly above the joists, except on the ends of the house.
3. Electrical boxes are often nailed to a stud, one side or the other and often the wires to or from those boxes goes down through to the basement.
4. Heat pipes or heat ducts can also give you a reference between up and down.
5. If you use post-its or painter's tape you can mark the studs you identify and quickly see the 16" oc pattern.

Now, tell us what you are running?
Bud

Old 11-15-16, 06:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
I agree with Bud, using electrical or HVAC vents should make it fairly easy to figure out below where the wall is above. Or you could use a tape measure.

Old 11-15-16, 06:19 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
An an 1/8 in hole can be drilled in the floor as close as possible to the wall alligned with where you want the junction box.. Insert a wire in the hole so you can see it from below. Drill up from under the house using the hole as a guide . (Example: if ", sheet rock, ~"base board, " shoe = 1" plus 1" to center of stud plate measure over 3")

Old 11-15-16, 07:03 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Locating Wall

Adding to Ray's instructions: Remove base shoe mould, drill as Ray suggested, and replace the shoe mould to cover the hole.

Old 11-15-16, 07:27 AM
I think the consensus is the small pilot hole through the floor.
My house has a low crawlspace and the hole with a locating wire through it makes the job much easier.
I drag my tools around in a shallow pan or box and just go hole to hole.

Old 11-15-16, 07:43 AM
D
thx

I'll use the pilot hole, where I have carpet. (I've used this method in previous home) Tile elsewhere. I'm aware of measuring from above, and hoping for the best, down under. Getting a 42" flex auger bit from HF, $8. Then in my spare time, I'll invent the gizmo with the sensor, and become filthy rich! Thx guys.

Old 11-15-16, 08:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
A metal coat hanger makes a really good long pilot bit. Snip the long straight part out with angled cuts, chuck it up in your drill and you should be able to run it down through the flooring and, as long as you don't hit a joist, it will drill through the flooring and be very visible in the crawlspace as it is long enough to poke through the insulation batts and protrude below the joists.

Old 11-16-16, 07:00 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Drilling Hole

I'll use the pilot hole, where I have carpet.
Do not drill through carpet. The carpet threads will be wound around the drill bit and ruin the carpet.