Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I use this used power supply with new security camera?

Old 11-22-16, 10:57 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts

I have a new CCTV surveillance camera at home. The description is part# KPC-EJ230NUWX bullet camera. The camera literature says you have to use a regulated DC 12V 300ma power supply which is not included.

I have a used power supply from home from a previous bullet camera. This one is described as 12V 500ma ITE switching power supply (100-240 volts)
But the label does not specify whether it is AC or DC or if it is regulated or unregulated.

Is it ok if I use this power supply with the new camera? If it's not compatible, it could damage camera and void warranty. Thanks

Old 11-22-16, 11:21 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Pretty likely it will be fine, but to be sure, you should check the supply with a multi-meter set to the DC range. It should read 12 volts DC +/- maybe 0.5 volts.

Or if you know the model number of the previous camera you can look that up.

The other thing you have to check is the compatibility and polarity of the power connector, if there is one.

Old 11-22-16, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Most wall wort transformers output DC but I would not try it without checking it with a volt meter first to confirm that it's not AC. Odds are though since it worked with another camera that it's DC and should work.

As for the polarity at the connector you can also check that with a volt meter. You can also look for the little symbol that looks like a "C" with e circle in the middle. Usually there is a line coming from the center circle with a + indicating that the center of the plug/socket is + while the outer side of the post is -.

Old 11-22-16, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Since it says it runs on 100-240v means that it is an electronic switching supply.
It's output will be DC and it will be regulated.

Old 11-26-16, 11:27 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ok. Thanks very much for the answers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: