Exterior receptacle for Christmas lights

Old 11-25-16, 05:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior receptacle for Christmas lights

I plugged my lights into the receptacle under my eaves (new construction 1 year ago) and no power there?
White & Black wires are connected to the Receptacle. Went to switch and it has the black & red wires connected and the White is capped off? Does this make sense?

Old 11-25-16, 06:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does this make sense?
Are you saying there is only a 2-conductor cable, black, white, gnd, at the receptacle but a 3-conductor cable, black, red, white, gnd, at the switch? If so there is another box in between and that one or another probably has a GFCI receptacle that is tripped.

Old 11-25-16, 10:39 PM
S
Not connected to GFCI, nor is the breaker a GFCI. No other switch either... I did test and reset both GFCI in the house as they serve multiple outlets.
Yes you make sense, I remember wanting to put a timer instead of the switch(replace it) but couldn't because the white was not used(not Hot maybe). Thank you for your help.

Old 11-25-16, 11:08 PM
S
Ok, so after resetting the GFCI's, I had the breaker off from earlier, flipped it on and the lights are on so very faint - The strands connected to one side of the house eave receptacle are strong, the strands connected to the opposite side eave are on, but very very faint... they both are turned on by the same switch (there is only 1) Any ideas?

Old 11-26-16, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Check the lights by plugging them into an extension cord connected to the good outlet (or another known working outlet) This will eliminate the light string as being the problem.

FYI - With a newer home you will GFCI's all over the house. Outside, basements, bathrooms, kitchens, garages, maybe any unfinished rooms or mechanical rooms. Although kitchens and bathrooms will be on their own circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: