plugging and unplugging a problem?

Old 12-02-16, 07:35 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plugging and unplugging a problem?

Hi,

I don't have enough outlets in my kitchen so I have to plug and unlug two toasters depending on which one I use. (One is an old fashioned upright, the other a toaster oven) My question is, is it bad for the outlet to be plugged into and having the plug removed so often? I use the standup one every day. I don't use the toaster oven that often but all that plugging and unplugging worries me a little bit. Yes, I know outlets are designed to be plugged into and unplugged but I think I'm doing it alot. I use the same one outlet over and over rather than switching to the other 3 in the 4 outlet set. Will all that scraping cause trouble? Oh, and the toaster oven is a 3 prong so I have to wiggle it to get it in and out. That can't be good when done for years... The outlet is a tight fit for the 3 prong plug.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-16, 07:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Cheap receptacles will wear out faster than good ones but if it comes to the point where the plug falls out, then you can replace it with a better one.

Old 12-02-16, 07:51 AM
L
True. Is that all I have to worry about? I'm worried that it may short out.

Old 12-02-16, 07:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Loose plugs will generate heat that slowly destroys the plug and receptacle. Loose receptac!es need to be replaced.

If you already have the two current code required 20 amp receptacle circuits you could go to a two gang box and two duplex recptacles.

If you don't have two 20a circuits best would be to run a new 20a circuit for one of the appliances. (It will,need to be GFCI protected.)

Old 12-02-16, 08:07 AM
L
Thankfully there are 20 amp circuits. Loose I can see being a problem, but what about tight? If it remains tight can I be assured it will be ok?

Alas, I don't think anything will be done unless I can say to my landlady that they pose a problem. If there not a problem, then she isn't going to do anything (and she's reluctant to do that kind of repair anyway so I'd have to really prove that it could be a problem before I could expect her to pay for any repairs.)

Old 12-02-16, 08:20 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The receptacles are OK as long as they firmly grip the plug prongs.

Old 12-02-16, 08:45 AM
L
Good. That's what I needed to hear.

Old 12-02-16, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The plug will get warm when using a high current appliance like a toaster or toaster oven.
When the plug feels hot when removing.... it's time to replace the receptacle.

Old 12-02-16, 09:29 AM
L
OK, so far so good. I never use more than one appliance at a time and have never blown a fuse. As long as I do that, I should be ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: