TV's keep breaking in the same room

Old 12-02-16, 03:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TV's keep breaking in the same room

My aunt asked me to fix a TV which I have limited experience in because I have an electronics repair company that mostly fixes computers and phones. After fixing the TV by replacing a few capacitors and the main board she connected another TV in the same spot which also broke. In a brilliant move she connected the previously fixed TV to the outlet in question and that also broke.
I have to conclude that there is something wrong with that outlet. But it only breaks tvs. The TVS were not even connected directly to the wall but to a surge protector strip every time. There is a computer, a blu ray player, and a stereo connected to the same strip and none of them has had any problem, except perhaps about 3 years ago a computer which lost a power supply. So the whole situation strikes me as odd. I tested the outlet and it was giving out 123 AC volts. Well within normal.
What I need is a list of possible causes to this problem and if there is some way that I can fix this on my own or whether I need an electrician with specialized equipment to diagnose and fix the problem.
I will fix the 2 broken TVs but I don't want to connect anything to that outlet until the problem is fixed.
Please help. THANK YOU.
Al From Miami.

Old 12-02-16, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You didn't indicate the age of the tv's in question. TV's go bad and it could be due to their age more than any perceived electrical problem. If you fix them, try running them in different rooms just for grins. If they survive for a week, take them back to the original room to see what happens.

Old 12-02-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you had to replace capacitors...... that's the TV's fault. If you had burned foils or a blasted power supply.... that could be a receptacle problem.

Today's solid state TV's no longer require precise 120v power. Since they use switching/regulated power supplies the voltage can swing greatly without damaging a TV.

One major problem that can affect a TV is a chassis short. Take a meter and check from the TV's chassis.... the "F" connector is fine..... to a known good ground. Look for high voltage present.

Another issue is no ground on the cable line. Check the center pin AND the shield to a known good ground. There should be 0v on the shield and very little on the center pin.

Old 12-03-16, 09:12 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your prompt reply and sorry for my delayed one. The TV's are both 7 years old. Two identical samsung LN26A330J1D. I understand that it could all just be a coincidence but. I fixed one by replacing some bad caps and the main board. Then about 2 weeks later it died again. The other one was moved from another room and that same day it also stopped working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: