Replacing Plug on DeLonghi Radiator Heater

Old 12-06-16, 06:33 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Plug on DeLonghi Radiator Heater

Hello:

I need some ideas for replacing the plug for my radiator heater – DeLonghi 1500W “The Incredible Heat Machine”
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  48.9 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1926
Size:  30.2 KB
Some years ago, the plug on this melted when in operation in another apartment, and we have not had it fixed since.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  24.0 KB
All it needs is a plug (or so I think) and I figured it should not be too hard to put a new one in.

Would I have to replace the entire wire from inside the heater? Or can I just splice the end of the existing wire and add a plug to it?

There is also some information on the current wire, which I suppose has to do with the rating of the wire and the plug.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  17.8 KB
Thanks much!

Old 12-06-16, 07:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The second time the plug melted on mine I replaced both the cord and plug with a 14 gauge cord set with molded plug. That was more then ten years ago and no more melting. Example: Husky 9 ft. 14/3 Power Tool Replacement Cord-AW62632 - The Home Depot Note this is a grounded plug so you will have to improvise a bit since the original cord isn't grounded. As I recall I cut off all but six inches of the cord inside the heater and just spliced on to the original cord inside the heater and fastened the ground to the metal of the heater. This is a bit of jerry-rigging so I won't recommend my approach.

Old 12-06-16, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 284 Votes on 248 Posts
IMO Ray's repair is the best option. Even if the old heater cord didn't have a ground, adding a ground would be an extra line of safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: