receptacle on a rolling shelf in the crawl space?

Old 12-07-16, 10:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
receptacle on a rolling shelf in the crawl space?

Someone who lived in my house before me installed a sliding boxed shelf at the entrance to the crawl space, presumably for some extra storage space without having to actually get into to crawl space but without restricting access either, as it slides out of the way. A receptacle was installed into the wall of this sliding enclosure so that there is this Romex wiring now flexing as the shelf is rolled. I guess I would be a little surprised if this was allowed by NEC but I struggle to come up with the appropriate search terms. Could anyone point me to Code making this illegal? It happens to satisfy the requirement of having a receptacle within 25' of HVAC equipment but whatever I'm putting in a switched receptacle for that purpose anyway. I appreciate it.

Old 12-07-16, 10:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The code section would be all of those requiring fastening, support and protection of NM cable (Romex), and that it using the material in a way contrary to its intended use as it is not listed as a flexible wiring method.

Such an installation could be completed legally using an approved flexible wiring method like SJ cord and approved box connectors and cord support looms. For example receptacles in ceiling hanging pendants you might see at a mechanic's shop or a grocery store to power equipment in an open area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: