I am so galactically stupid...

Old 12-07-16, 06:16 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I am so galactically stupid...

I don't know how I missed it.

I had to add a receptacle in a room with wood paneling. So I carefully removed the mouldings, the decorative trims, the quarter rounds etc...then I ran the conduit to the desired location and mount the box.

Then I transferred the measurements to the wood panel to make the cut for the electrical hole. Perfect cut.

Then I mounted the wood panel, glued and nailed all the mouldings and trims and everything.

Then I realized I used the wrong mud ring. It should have been a 1/4" raised ring but I used a 1" raised ring. I don't know why I did that. Now I see the mud ring instead of being flushed with the finished panel, it is proud of the finished panel by 3/4"!!!

I don't even know what I was thinking. Now it's all nailed and glued.

Any suggestions besides ripping everything out AGAIN? Any "spacer" that can be used behind the plate?

I am so mad at myself!

Old 12-07-16, 06:25 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
How about picture framing around the ring with nice matching trim thick enough to be flush. It will look like a "feature".

Otherwise, you could cut the ring off flush and use 6-32 standoff spacers into drilled and tapped holes in the back of the box. Not sure the inspector would be happy, but as long the ring is flush with the paneling it should be OK.

Name:  male female standoff.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  5.5 KB

They are called hex female male spacers or standoffs....

Old 12-07-16, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
How about picture framing around the ring with nice matching trim thick enough to be flush. It will look like a "feature".
This was my first thought as well. Don't try to make it the same size as the cover plate, make the frame larger or it will look like a mistake. You would even router an edge on it to make it look fancy, if that will fit the room.

Old 12-08-16, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree! Several times over the years I've had to make a decorative wood spacer for the electrical device to work. If you stain/poly [before installation] it to match the paneling it will blend nicely and NOT look like a mistake

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: