GFIC from grounded switch

Old 12-08-16, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFIC from grounded switch

Hi all....I am in Calgary, Canada. I need to move a bidet from our downstairs bathroom to our master ensuite (sounds fancy but not really). The bidet requires a 20 amp circuit which I have in the ensuite. This circuit powers a jet tub (again, no not fancy at all). We do not use the jet feature at all so it makes sense to take advantage of this unused circuit.

The existing wiring comes from the circuit breaker in the bacement to a timer switch in the bathroom and then to the pump for the jet tub. The switch is used to control the length of time the pump runs.

However...While the 20 amp line that runs to the wall switch is grounded, the line running from the switch to the pump is not. The bidet uses a three-prong plug.

My plan was to install a GFIC plug behind the toliet and connect it to the 20 amp line running from the wall switch to the pump. In other words, disconnect the pump and wire a GFIC plug that will be mounted onto a stud. I would then replace the timer switch with a 20 amp wall switch for lights ect.

Is this safe and workable or does electrical code require a new line with an integrated ground wire? Are there other options in this scenario?

I will add some photos that might help.

Best regards

Phil
Calgary

Old 12-08-16, 05:58 PM
Photos of junction box and wall switch

Name:  junctionbox.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  31.1 KBName:  wallswitch.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  26.4 KB

Attached are photos of the junction box which shows the line coming form the wall switch to the junction box by the jet tub, connections and ground for th pump.
The wall switch photos shows the existing timer switch and neighbouring light switch, both of which are grounded.

Old 12-08-16, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The tub instructions most likely call for a dedicated circuit so it should not be shared with the bidet.

Old 12-08-16, 10:00 PM
@ pcboss

hi, thanks for the reply...I will use the dedicated circuit FOR the bidet and unhook the tub...so only the bidet will be on the circuit.

Old 12-09-16, 03:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The box in your first picture is grounded through the armored cable. And the NM cable seems to have a ground wire. Which cable is power in?

Old 12-11-16, 03:51 PM
update

Hi the white line in is the power coming from a 20Amp single pole switch. The line from the switch (white in the photo) does have a bare copper ground wire. I did not see it earlier as it was hidden behind the copper ground wire leading to the pump.

I wired the white wire to the silver terminal on the GFCI outlet and the black to the brass terminal. The ground wire coming from the line is connected to the ground terminal on the outlet box and then to the green ground connector on the GFIC outlet.

House is still standing...plugged a radio into the line and so far so good...Any concerns?

Last edited by pcourterelle; 12-11-16 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-16, 04:28 PM
Good job. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 12-11-16, 06:07 PM
Ok...this is odd

Ok, I installed the bidet and plugged it into the new outlet. Bidet powers up ok and will run through a basic self-cleaning mode but the moment it is in "use"...that is begins to spray water to the user... the 20 Amp breaker on the panel trips.

The bidet was installed in our downstairs toliet on a 15A circuit previously so I know the device works ok.

I've plugged a kettle into the outlet and no problem. I've plugged a kettle and a toaster into the outlet and no problem.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-16, 06:32 PM
As a test try the bidet on an extension cord from a different circuit. Perhaps a wire came loose or something during moving.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: