Clamp meter total current question

Old 12-11-16, 07:15 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clamp meter total current question

I want to measure the total amps used in my house when everything is turned on. If I get a reading on the two hot conductors that feed all of the breakers in my panel and add them together will this measurement be correct. A friend who is an electrician said something about double pole breakers not allowing that type of measurement to be correct. Seems like it would work to me.

Old 12-11-16, 07:48 PM
A
Received 274 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Put the meter jaws on the fat red wire feeding the panel. Record the number of amperes. Repeat for the fat black wire feeding the panel.

1. Add the two together and you get the equivalent number of amperes at 120 volts.Example: the numbers are 25 and 30. You are drawing an equivalent of 55 amps at 120 volts.

2. Subtract the smaller number from the larger number. The difference is the equivalent number of amps as 120 volts while simultaneously drawing the number of amps at 240 volts equal to the smaller number by itself. Example: the two numbers are 25 and 30. You are drawing the equivalent of 25 amps at 240 volts plus an additional 5 amps at 120 volts/

Old 12-12-16, 08:40 PM
E
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What's your goal in measuring this?
Panel overload?
Calculate total wattage used?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: