Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Circuit breaker for living room has tripped twice (back to back).

Old 12-17-16, 03:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We've bought a house and have lived here for about a month. Never had any issues. Living room has a TV, cable box, small lamp, desktop pc and cable modem / router. Note: when the breaker tripped, the TV was off (the PC was on for the first trip, off for the second)

When it tripped, I noticed our porch lights (2) and front entryway (inside) lights went out, so I guess they're on the same circuit.

The only other variable I can think of is that there was melting snow most of the day. Wondering what the likelihood of water somehow causing an issue with the porch lights?

Any other troubleshooting I can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 03:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you using an electric space heater anywhere? Is it on the same breaker?

Old 12-17-16, 04:58 PM
A
No space heaters but I think I've narrowed it down to the porch lights being the issue. No tripping at all with the porch lights out. As soon as I turn them on, it trips. But there's no visible water intrusion to those light fixtures so now I'm worried it's somewhere in the walls?

Old 12-17-16, 05:10 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Start looking for a tripped GFI some place,

Old 12-17-16, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Are you talking about a circuit breaker in the electrical panel? Does that breaker have a "test" button on it?

Are you running any Christmas lights outside?

Old 12-17-16, 06:52 PM
A
Joe: There is an outlet outside near those front porch lights; but would the outlet be linked to the light switch? Can't locate my outlet tester so I can test it. I can tell you it is NOT GFI.

Tolyn: Yes the circuit breaker in the electrical panel. No "test" button on it. Just a standard breaker. No christmas lights. The one outlet outside has nothing plugged into it, and again I'm not sure if it's independent to the porch light switch, or linked to it.

Old 12-17-16, 06:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Plug a lamp into it then test if it is on the same breaker.

Old 12-18-16, 08:12 AM
P
Received 112 Votes on 88 Posts
Sounds to me you have some water intrusion at the lights. So these light fixtures are exposed to direct weather, not under a porch roof? Also how old of a home is it? You should remove the lights and check the box for water.

Old 12-18-16, 08:39 AM
A
The fixtures are under a porch/roof and thus no VISIBLE water intrusion at all. I also checked the two outdoor outlets (one of which is GFI and the other non GFI). Both these outlets seem independent of the porch light switch.

Old 12-18-16, 09:16 AM
P
Received 112 Votes on 88 Posts
All outside outlets should be GFCI protected for one thing. As far as the tripping goes you are just going to need to do more searching. Perhaps use a multimeter to check for continuity between the hot and neutral/ground at the fixture with breaker off and light switch on and bulb removed. This will at least show if there's a direct short. Problem is with moisture is it's not enough conductivity to show up on a meter as a short. With moisture there needs to be enough load in the wire for an arc to jump the wires to cause the breaker to trip..