RV Breaker box and plug

Old 12-27-16, 03:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RV Breaker box and plug

I opened my electrical panel up today and saw I am only using 3 of the 4 wires inside. This is in a trailer.
I have called 2 electricians and both said different things so before I hire someone to do this I would like some advice. Since this is the case could I not just remove the 4 prong end and use a heavy duty 3 prong 120 volt male end on this?

I have a 50 amp box, however I running less than 30 amps on it, maybe even 20 if I actually added it all up.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-16, 05:07 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I would leave the cord and plug intact.

I would construct an adapter (that resembled an extension cord but could be just 2 feet long) with a (female) receptacle that matched your RV plug and with a plug (could be 3 prong) that matched the RV receptacle on the house or the receptacle on the RV park power stand you were going to plug into. For an adapter with a 3 prong plug, one of the 4 prong holes in the receptacle end, the one that took the plug prong that led to the unused wire in the RV panel box, would be left empty.

You could make a second adapter with a 15 amp plug to use a "standard" outdoor receptacle on the side of your house and it would be just your manual discipline that prevents drawing too much current and tripping a breaker in your house panel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-27-16 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 08:11 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Adapter

RV supply houses will have the adapter you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: