Electric range on concrete floor shock hazard?

Old 12-27-16, 05:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Electric range on concrete floor shock hazard?

Hi

We have a gas cooktop in our house. Combined with a convection microwave, it's usually enough for us. But once in a while we'd like to cook a big turkey or something else large. I'd like to pick up a used electric range and put it in our attached garage that has a concrete floor.

I've started wondering if I should build a platform so that anyone (the wife or me) is off the floor when they touch the stove.

It's a dry area, but if there's a spill or something I want it to be safe.

What do you think? Any other considerations about putting a range in the garage? (keep it away from gasoline, etc.)

Thanks, Joe

Old 12-27-16, 05:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Though concrete is conductive no shock hazard due to concrete floor. Shock hazard would be due to electrical faults in the stove and improper grounding of the stove. Just be sure to wire it four wire.

Is this an attached garage?

Old 12-27-16, 07:04 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's attached. The breaker panel is also in the garage about 40 cable feet away from where I intend to put the range.

Old 12-27-16, 07:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Where I live almost all houses are on slab and no special effort is made to isolate the stove. However sheet vinyl or vinyl tile or ceramic tile is used on the floor. You might want to buy a piece of sheet vinyl for the floor. If nothing else it will make spills easier to clean up.

I can't comment on flammable liquids. Maybe someone else can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: