Adding new receptacle to a GFCI circuit in series

Old 12-27-16, 09:16 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding new receptacle to a GFCI circuit in series

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  30.0 KB

I have a 20 A circuit wired to a GFCI receptacle in the master bathroom that is wired in series (like in the picture) with 5 other 15 A receptacles spread around 4 bathrooms in the house. I am wanting to add one more outlet about a foot below and on the other side of the wall from this one which I also want to be protected by the GFI. So far I have learned that I need to use 12 gauge wire, I can use a drwall reworx box and I shouldn't have to worry about staples because it is only a foot. I am not sure the best way to wire it though. Should I run two romex down and extend the series? Or do I rewire this receptacle and the new one into a pigtail created by joining these 12-2 together? Will the single GFCI still protect the entire circuit if I change this to be in parallel?

Old 12-27-16, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Add a cable to new circuit A 2 to 3 piece of 12/2 romex should do it. Yes use pigtail to outlet.

Old 12-27-16, 10:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! So the best way would be to disconnect one of these romex from the existing outlet, tie it into a new romex that goes down to the other box and a short little splice that goes back to this outlet? Any tips? For example, could I expose like 6 inches of wire on the end and loop it back when putting the screw on, leaving my little 6 inch runs back to the existing outlet?

Old 12-27-16, 11:30 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So the best way would be to disconnect one of these romex from the existing outlet
No. Usual method. would be to connect all the wires to a pigtail not just those from two cables.

Old 12-27-16, 12:52 PM
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
Another thought,if you are in the same bay with the receptacle,you may be able to pull one of the existing cables down and into the new box and run a new cable between,only if it is fed from the bottom up, less splices this way.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: