Newbie with questions on installing subpanel....

Old 01-01-17, 03:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newbie with questions on installing subpanel....

Afternoon Forum and Happy New Years to everyone!
I want to install a subpanel in the shed out back..(MARYLAND).The particulars......
Shed is 16x20. It is approx 75 feet from the basement door to shed door. Here is the wrench in it...There is already lines run from the basement outside to the back of the carport...The old man that owned the home before me had an illegal workshop (70 foot mobile home!!) that he used for his cabinet making business. Im posting pics to help decipher what wiring is where and for what already.
The wiring has 3 black. 2 used hot 1 is the neutral. And the ground. The wires state 600 amp? My question and what I want is this. I want, where the wires already are run behind the carport, I want to install an outdoor box with the breaker and wire 2 lights and a plug in......
Then I want to run from that box to the shed and install subpanel. Can you do this and can I just use the existing wiring to the carport then just feed off that to the shed? Hope this makes sense and lord thanks in advance for helping!!
Cant do images yet. Have to figure out this hosting thingy....Sorry! THEY POSTED LOL
KW

Attached Images   

Last edited by Kevin Wilson; 01-01-17 at 03:06 PM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-17, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Fill us in what amperage double breaker you have circled in blue is. Where do the wires circled in red go? And what the green arrow means? There must be a subpanel on the other end of those wires at the carport. Is there one? If so, how far from the house is it?

Old 01-01-17, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 218 Votes on 193 Posts
It sounds like you already have a 4 wire feed so that is good.As Chandler mentioned, the next step is to tell us what is at the car port. Then we can figure what to run to the shed. We also need to know what your plans for the shed are and what kind of load you will have.

Old 01-01-17, 04:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the backfed breaker used as a main breaker have a hold down clip? I can't tell.

He appears to have the neutral bar connected to the ground bar. If so that is wrong. The neutral bar must be isolated.

If the feed wires are number 4 or grater is is okay to use black for neutral if properly marked. The wires seem to meet that.

However all the spaces are full. Are there some breakers that aren't needed?

Old 01-01-17, 09:43 PM
K
Hi Ray. Ill have to look at the bar closer. The breaker, IDK if it has a clip, I cannot tell. The breaker will not just pop out turning off and on. Thats what I understand the clip need to be? Maybe these pics can better inform
They are full! And who knows. Ive tried isolating but half remain clueless. They seem to go to nothing. But I wont give up and I will isolate every damn one lol. **** makes no sense but this guy just half assed it as needed from the looks of it. I dont want an electrician, yet. I do want a new and updated panel installed but will wait till I go full remodel inside next year. Thanks...OH and I will let you know about the bar....Name:  Panel 1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  44.8 KB
Name:  panel 2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 01-01-17, 10:14 PM
K
Thanks Chandler...
The double breaker is a 60 amp. It fed to a sub that fed his power to the shop in the illegal mobile home. When it was torn down before I closed, and I asked the panel and such be left so I could make heads and tails out iof it, they didnt. I guess the 4 dollars he got to recycle was much more worth it. ANYWAY
If you see the pics I just loaded, they will show the wires leading out of the box, then they feed through outside and the 35 feet to the carport.
The wires, well I capped them. They had just cut them, left them live on the ground and walked away. I put wirenuts on the ends, taped off good and put a cap on the end of the pipe to keep things dry till I got to this. Which is why they shouldnt hand any dumbass a contractors license....Digression lol
From the carport, I want to go to the shed in back, another 35 feet. Which basically was my question? Is that possible and what do I need?
Sorry to ask. I know all your time is more valuable than this. But so appreciated! Yall are really great and Ive been in the electricity section for 6 months reading. Before yall, I could wire a switch or socket but even then, sketchy at best. Im getting better, but understand my limits too. If I cant handle this or even think I cant, I will call the pro.
The pic....RED is the existing line and path....BLUE is where I want the box at the carport. which you cant see but is a 20x20 ......ORANGE is where I want the line to run for the box in the shed....Hope this all helps!!! Name:  pathway.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 01-01-17, 10:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please disregard my earlier comment. I thought the 60 amp breaker was your main breaker. Where is the main breaker for the panel?

Old 01-01-17, 10:40 PM
K
Hey guys. I should have mentioned this. BUT, in the carport. I will have 2 32 watt lights in the ceiling and 2 plugs. the SHED...3 outlets each side, 2 switches for the lights in the ceiling and for a security light in front of the shed. No more than normal power tools. Nothing heavy, no welding etc. The biggest thing I will use is a compressor but thats still the remodel and it can wait and by then, it will all be upgraded anyway. Thanks again!!

Old 01-01-17, 10:43 PM
K
Upper Left...
Sorry they go sideways...IDK...Little white MAIN BREAKER sticker....
Name:  20161222_134146.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  50.4 KB Name:  20161222_134155.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 01-02-17, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Time is just money, and you pay at the end of the thread...........Just kidding This is what we do when we aren't working. Most of us are professionals and others are well heeled do-it-yourselfers who like helping others.

How close to the carport will the existing wires reach? Will they turn up inside the carport so you can mount a subpanel? I understand you only have minimal use planned, but since the circuit is already run, I'd go ahead and future proof it by keeping the 120/240 capability. It will hinge on the length of the wires. Maybe a picture of the pipe and the position it holds next to the carport would help.

Old 01-02-17, 09:43 AM
K
Ask and you shall receive sir!
The orange on the carport side is where I was going to mount it. 3/4 inch pressure treated sheathing. But im doing the whole carport in that stuff, so STRONG! Winds my ass....So yes, it will come up inside the carport where the orange is......RED is path back to cellar and panel.....I would pull the pipe and photo the wires for you, have no issue doing so. The breaker is off so its safe....If you want that shot to help, Ill go take it now anyway lol Thanks
Hope this helps bud!! Name:  20170102_112247_LI.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  50.8 KB