Adding a Switchable Bonded Neutral to Generator

Old 01-05-17, 08:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Adding a Switchable Bonded Neutral to Generator

Hi all, I'm in the process of installing a 2-pole transfer switch (with a non-switched neutral), and will be connecting a portable 120/240v generator to it that from the factory utilizes a bonded neutral. The neutral can be easily unbonded, which I will be doing strictly for use with the transfer switch. However, for times where I'd like to use the generator as a standalone unit to power separate equipment, I'll need to re-bond the neutral connection again.

My question is, rather than having to connect and disconnect the neutral bond each time I want to do this, can I just splice in a switch (i.e. a standard 120v light switch in a weatherproof outdoor single gang box/enclosure) inline with the neutral wire, and toggle it as needed? Obviously this would void my warranty on the unit but was a consideration once it's out of warranty.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-17, 10:25 AM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could do that.

What I did is make up a plug with the neutral/bond only. I have it chained to the generator so if I'm using it as a portable, I just plug it into one of the receptacles and I'm bonded again.