Connecting meter base to sub panel?

Old 01-13-17, 08:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting meter base to sub panel?

I'm wiring my own new home. Tomorrow I will run the conductors from the meter base to a sub panel. The sub panel will have a feeder that goes to my service breaker panel. My question. When I connect the (2) hot cables from the meter base to the sub panel-does it matter which pole on the sub panel I connect each hot lead to on the bus bars? Thanks for your help.
Jim in Tennessee

Old 01-13-17, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
When the wires leave the meter base they go to a main panel or a disconnect panel first
and then to a sub panel.

Basically there needs to be a disconnect withing 6' or so of the meter.

There will be three wires from the meter to the first panel.... 2 hots and a neutral.
The hots can go on either side.

Old 01-13-17, 08:56 PM
J
Thanks. I should have explained my install a bit clearer. The first panel out of my meter base does have a disconnect and actually a few positions for breakers (which I won't be using). This is the panel that my feeder to the house main breaker panel is routed. Then out of the meter base panel is another set of conductors that go to a 2nd panel. I guess this would be the official sub panel. The power from this panel will supply my HVAC, wood shop and probably hot tub. I have a 400 amp service. Thanks for helping me with the hot wire position question. I was pretty sure it did not matter which side I connected them.
Thanks

Old 01-13-17, 09:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The first panel out of my meter base does have a disconnect and actually a few positions for breakers
That is your main panel. The main panel is the first panel with a fuse or breaker. All other panels connected to it are subpanels.

Old 01-14-17, 04:42 AM
J
Thank you to everyone for your help

Old 01-14-17, 07:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Any more questions come on back.

Old 01-14-17, 12:10 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
The first panel out of my meter base does have a disconnect and actually a few positions for breakers (which I won't be using). This is the panel that my feeder to the house main breaker panel is routed. Then out of the meter base panel is another set of conductors that go to a 2nd panel. I guess this would be the official sub panel. The power from this panel will supply my HVAC, wood shop and probably hot tub. I have a 400 amp service.
I hope the OP comes back. I was wondering if the two subpanels are each 200 amps and if they are both located at the house, I know the first one was.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: