Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Is it preferable to make the bottom outlet switched in a duplex and top always ?

Is it preferable to make the bottom outlet switched in a duplex and top always ?

Old 01-15-17, 02:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.

All my switched outlets are wired so that the top is switched and the bottom is always on, but I was just thinking that it may be easier to have the bottom switched and the top always on because once a light is plugged into the bottom (for the switch part) it usually stays plugged in. This would allow easier access to the top outlet (always on) if you have to plug something in.

Not a big deal, but ...

Would all that I have to do is just reverse the top and bottom connections on the switched outlets?

Old 01-15-17, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You would just need to switch the hots on the brass side to change which half is switched.

Old 01-15-17, 03:35 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
You could simply rotate the entire recept. This has the added advantage of quick ID of a switched recept.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: