How to prepare existing light switch for framing

Old 01-24-17, 06:29 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to prepare existing light switch for framing

Here is my light switch, goes to outside light, wiring in pvc conduit (click for larger image):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76304[/ATTACH]

I'm getting ready to frame this wall, and insulate and drywall, but I'm not sure how to prepare this switch to be attached to the studs with a normal gang box. The metal gang box is attached to the cement with those ramset type nails. So I suppose if I unhooked the switch, and pulled the wires out and disconnected the conduit, I could probably pry the box off the wall with a pry bar, but not sure what the best way to do this is.

Ideally I'd like to it be in a normal gang box attached to the studs so I could wire it to the wall like a normal interior switch.

Is the conduit required because it's coming from outside? Or just because it wasn't enclosed in a wall? Would it be possible to cut the conduit off near the top so I can just pull the bare wire out? (circuit being off of course)

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-17, 09:36 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
1. Can you post a photo of the top of the conduit?
2. Also, what is the depth of the box? 1 1/2" or 2 1/8" ?
3. Do you plan on ganging this with other switches?

Old 01-24-17, 09:58 PM
P
Ha well now that you make me go look at it and pull the insulation away, the conduit just stops and the wire just goes straight out of it, so I'm assuming once I detach the wire from the switch I can just pull it straight out of the conduit. Then I should be able to pry that box and conduit off the wall? I can still upload a picture if you need.

The box is about 1 and 3/4" deep. And no I don't plan on ganging anything else with it. Just the one switch.

Old 01-24-17, 11:46 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I hope you mean cable not wire. Wires can not be used outside of a conduit or raceway.

Old 01-25-17, 02:42 AM
E
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You have it figured out. Be careful removing that box. Hammer and crow bar work best. Prying alone won't do it. If the box isn't in the way, you can always leave it there and empty.

Old 01-25-17, 05:15 AM
P
Yes it is NM cable, perfectly fine outside of a conduit.
OK thanks, yeah that's a good idea, I may just be able to leave it. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: