Using a 3 way switch for a security device

Old 01-25-17, 09:30 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using a 3 way switch for a security device

Hello all - Great Forum!

I have a wireless security device that works off of a AC/DC adapter that is drawing 7.5watts. I have been using it in my garage for weeks now. It works great and records all movement, even in the dark,. The problem I have is that I am constantly in and out of the garage and it really only needs to be on whenever I am not in the garage.

What I have done is wired a 3 way switch that would activate it whenever the light switch is turned off. Although it is working well, I would like a second opinion on whether I have overlooked something here. Attached is a wiring diagram of the outlet that it is plugged into. Name:  ALARM-switched-outlet.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  25.4 KB

Old 01-25-17, 10:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I don't see any issue with your plan, looks like it will work fine.

I would suggest labeling the receptacle somehow so someone else trying to use it will have some idea that it's not a 'normal' receptacle.

Old 01-26-17, 06:41 AM
B
Clever idea. Good electricity saving idea!

Old 01-26-17, 09:06 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
What does the device do when you power it up?

What does the device do when you power it up? Dollar to a doughnut it will activate your recorder; you may not get the result you expect.

To test, plug the wall wart into an extension cord run out of the garage. Power the wall wart up and down from outside the garage to see what happens.

Old 01-30-17, 07:10 AM
M
The setup is working perfectly as planned. Whenever I leave the space and turn off the lights, my security device activates. The device monitors the room and will record any movement and send me notifications on my cell. It is working so well, that I am considering placing another unit elsewhere in the house.

Thanks for the replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: