grounding outlet to enclosure

Old 01-30-17, 09:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grounding outlet to enclosure

Hi guys,

I had this overkill enclosure I bought for another project and I had this genius idea to use it to store this irrigation controller and POE for a wifi extender. I also thought I'd just put an outdoor GFCI outlet INSIDE the enclosure. I used PVC conduit but today I realized I wasn't sure how to ground the metal enclosure to the GFCI outlet from the outside.

Can this setup work or should I just scrap this and put the outlet outside the enclosure and use a cover over the wall-warts? I originally wanted to avoid that because I have had a lot of trouble with water getting into them in the past.

Thanks

In the picture A is just a transition from outside the enclosure to inside via threaded pvc conduit male to female sandwiching the enclosure.

In the picture B is a mountpoint for the metal backplate. There is a door that shuts over the enclosure with a rubber seal.

Name:  outdoor-enclosure.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 01-30-17, 10:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I realized I wasn't sure how to ground the metal enclosure to the GFCI outlet
You don't. You pigtail the ground of your power in cable to the metal receptacle box and the receptacle then mount the receptacle box directly to the metal cabinet.

Old 01-30-17, 10:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. The photo is not great but the actual receptacle box is PVC whereas the larger enclosure is metal. Does that make sense? The wiring inside the rest of the enclosure will be 48v and/or 24v but the wiring inside the receptacle will be 120v.

Old 01-31-17, 09:17 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Couldn't tell it was PVC from the picture. Change to a metal box . If the wiring cabinet is waterproof you don't need a weatherproof box inside it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: