Adding a blower fan to a gas fireplace.

Old 02-09-17, 11:24 AM
M
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding a blower fan to a gas fireplace.

I want to add a blower fan to our gas fireplace. The blower fan kit come with the fan/motor, thermostat and rheostat. The installation looks to be fairly straight forward.

My question is, instead of having to get on the floor to adjust the rheostat, whenever I want to change the blower speed, can I for-go installing the rheostat and install a wall mounted dimmer switch instead?

There is already a on/off switch controlling the outlet under the fire box. So there won't be much additional work. I wanted to check with the folks here, to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. Thanks!

Old 02-09-17, 11:50 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
A standard light dimmer switch will not work. A ceiling fan dimmer switch might work; but it might cause a buzz in the motor. There is also the possibility you could install the manufacturer-provided dial in the remote box.

Old 02-10-17, 06:39 PM
Received 166 Likes on 149 Posts
can I for-go installing the rheostat and install a wall mounted dimmer switch instead?

A dimmer won't work, but a speed control probably would.

Old 02-10-17, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I would try the blower first before worrying about a variable control.

I have never slowed mine down. The blower doesn't move all that much air so that running it at a reduced speed is hardly even worth it.

Old 02-11-17, 04:36 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
There wont be a lot of adjusting.

The blower makes noise so when I installed ours the grill was off for a couple of days while I made adjustments to the level that was acceptable.

Other than the day the power was out one winter and I turned it up for some extra heat it's never been touched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: