2 pole 20 amp breaker for 2 110 circuits

Old 02-19-17, 06:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 pole 20 amp breaker for 2 110 circuits

My panel is full but I am removing 2 of the 3 - 220 lines (dbl oven, and cooktop). The dryer is the only one staying though it is not being used. Can I use those 2 breaker spaces and put less amp breakers? I want to take a 2 pole 20 amp and use that for 2 new circuits. If so, do I have to share a neutral? Since I have 2 open spaces, can I make each one a single 20 amp circuit?

I am trying to create 2 new circuits for my kitchen but panel is full. One circuit I want to be an outlet for a microwave and island plug and the other circuit for a series of outlets.

Old 02-19-17, 07:01 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have two circuits with separate neutrals, the most straightforward way to do it would be to remove the two pole breaker and replace it with two single pole breakers.

However, if you intend to share neutrals (multiwire branch circuit), then you *must* use a 2 pole breaker.

You could use a two pole breaker to feed two separate circuits without shared neutral, but a fault on one would trip both, and it would be confusing down the road when the rationale is forgotten.

Old 02-19-17, 07:27 PM
M
Thanks for the quick response. I also should have added that I believe I have a split bus panel. These breakers are on the top left of the panel. Does that change your response? I would prefer just to make each one it's own circuit with its own breaker instead of sharing a neutral and have both trip if overloaded.

Old 02-19-17, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Adding two single pole breakers could put you over the 6 throws of the hand disconnect rule. Can you post a picture of the panel and wiring diagram ?

Old 02-20-17, 05:12 PM
M
Here are the photos. I hope they attached. There is the panel layout, a pic of the breakers, and a pic of the two breakers I am removing.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  51.3 KB

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by ray2047; 02-22-17 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Rotate, crop. enlarge, and seperate images.
Old 02-22-17, 05:33 PM
M
I was hoping to take care of this this week if at all possible. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 02-22-17, 06:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have two single pole breakers in the top half of your panel you can only have four two pole breakers. That means one two pole space would have to be empty.

There is in code the six throw rule which means you must be able to turn off all of the power in your paanel with six throws or less. Since one handle throw in the upper portion of the panel kills the lower half the lower half breakers aren't counted. So in the upper half you have the lower half breaker plus the two new single throw breakers. That means you can only have three additional breakers in the upper half to reach the limit of six throws.

Old 02-22-17, 06:33 PM
M
Hi Ray2047,

Thanks for the response! I think I will go with the two single pole breakers then since I don't need that other spot. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: