Getting light switches and outlets from abroad?

Old 03-05-17, 12:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Getting light switches and outlets from abroad?

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate your help! Currently, my family and I are considering getting some new Panasonic and Schneider (a French brand) electrical light switches and outlets from Taiwan, and would like to know if it will be compatible with the existing wires in our house. Our house is located in the bay area and was built in the early 80s. I personally know the distributor of Panasonic and Schneider in Taiwan and would be able to get these parts for a great price.

As far as I know, both Taiwan and the U.S. have the same voltage (110V) but I am not sure about the electrical configurations and standards.

These are the identical light switches and outlets that we plan to buy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77917[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77918[/ATTACH]

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DEACC...6G?q=/S/DEACCJ
PChome線上購物 -
https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DEAC0...DP?q=/S/DEAC0Q

Again, thank you for your help!

Attached Images   
Old 03-05-17, 01:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
As far as I know, both Taiwan and the U.S. have the same voltage (110V)
U.S. is 120. So long as they are approved by an approved national testing laboratory such as UL that should be okay.

Old 03-05-17, 01:13 PM
D
U.S. is 120. So long as they are approved by an approved national testing laboratory such as UL that should be okay.
Hi, thank you for your timely reply! As you have mentioned - since the U.S. is 120V, do you think light switches and outlets designed for 110V would be compatible with 120V wires? Or, do we need to purchase a voltage converter of some sort?

Old 03-05-17, 01:17 PM
D
The Schneider light switches is AC 125V 15A, wile the Panasonic light switches is 15A 110V AC

Old 03-05-17, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm on the fence. I'm not impressed with the construction I see. I like HD solid wiring mounting methods..... not push in type terminals.

I couldn't find any listing on them.....especially UL.
I take functionality over form. I'd pass on them.

Name:  zen.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  31.8 KB

Old 03-05-17, 01:22 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
110 volts is within ± 10% of 120 volts so would be fine. Voltage rating in any event normally exceeds the operating volts. The key here is if they are UL or other NTL listed for use in the U.S.

Edit: Agree with Pete on the connections on the receptacles.

Old 03-05-17, 01:29 PM
D
I'm on the fence. I'm not impressed with the construction I see. I like HD solid wiring mounting methods..... not push in type terminals.

I couldn't find any listing on them.....especially UL.
I take functionality over form. I'd pass on them.
Thank you and Ray for taking the time to respond to my question. On a second thought, I guess it doesn't make sense to take this risk and have a potential issue with the insurance company down the road some day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: