Bathroom fan humidity switch required Neutral wire

Old 03-07-17, 04:53 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bathroom fan humidity switch required Neutral wire

BATHROOM 1
I have a bathroom that has two wall switches. One is for the light and the other is for the fan. I want to install a Leviton IPHS5-1LI Humidity Sensor, but when I looked behind the switch there are 2 black wires and ground. There is no neutral wire. How can I wire this humidity switch?

BATHROOM 2
I have a 2nd bathroom that I wanted to replace the ceiling light with a fan that comes with a light and change the single switch to double. That wall switch also has 2 black wires and no neutral. The house was built in 2001 and I would assume it would have a neutral wire. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-08-17 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added graphics
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-17, 05:07 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Is there a bundle of white wires in the back of the box? If so that is the neutral connection, as for the other bathroom it sounds like you will need another conductor from the switch to the fan if you intend to swith them separately,post a pic of the conductors in the box.
Geo

Old 03-07-17, 05:37 PM
D
I looked to the back and there were not white wires. I thought I took a picture of the inside, but I didn't. I'll check again tomorrow. Here are some pictures:

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 2847
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  b1a.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  b1b.jpg
Views: 2760
Size:  46.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-08-17 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added graphics/enhanced pics
Old 03-07-17, 05:40 PM
D
Picture of switch of bathroom without a bath fan.

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  b2a.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  46.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-08-17 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added graphics to pics
Old 03-07-17, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 211 Votes on 187 Posts
Look all the way in the back of the box. You have two cables coming into the box (single gang) which will mean you will have a neutral. I think I can even see it in the picture.

Name:  swicth.png
Views: 2700
Size:  470.8 KB

Old 03-08-17, 05:52 AM
D
Assuming there is a white wire in that single bundle on both bath. If I buy the Humidity Sensor Switch, all I have to do is run a white wire from the switch and add it to the bundle? I think the switch requires a white wire connection directly to the switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K58CptgPGGg

Old 03-08-17, 12:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, if the switch uses screws you would use a pigtail. If wires from the switch the white wire to the bundle.

Old 03-08-17, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
I added labeling to keep the two bathrooms separate.

Bathroom 1 has two switches. It looks like there should be a neutral/white bundle in there but the pictures don't allow us to see the back of the box.

Bathroom 2 definitely has a neutral/white bundle (as Tolyn pointed out) however you don't need a neutral at this box. You need two switchable hot lines to the light. If there is not a red wire in this box then you cannot use a dual switch here as you do not have two switched lines.

====================================================

You should also consider a countdown timer is place of a humidity switch. Although a humidity switch sounds like a great idea..... they can take too long to activate and keep the fan running longer than it needs to.

I install a 1 hour pushbutton countdown timer. Especially effective when the toilet is used for a number two.

Name:  cd timer.JPG
Views: 2755
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 03-09-17, 12:06 PM
D
OK, I just doubled checked and both bathrooms have white (neutral) wires bundle in the back. So if I where to connect a humidity sensor to Bathroom 1, I would connect a separate white wire from the sensor switch and add it to the neutral bundle.

For Bathroom 2, to replace the light for a bath fan/light, I would remove the current light, install the bath fan with the current wiring used for the light. Then I would have one switch that would run the fan and the light at the same time, since there is no red wire to run a Dual switch. Correct?

If I wanted a dual switch I would need that red wire.

Thanks to everyone who took their time to help me out. I want to let you know, how much I really appreciate the help and suggestion gven. I know your time is valuable.

Old 03-09-17, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
Then I would have one switch that would run the fan and the light at the same time, since there is no red wire to run a Dual switch.
That is correct.
You'd have to replace a two wire cable with a three wire cable or add an additional two wire cable.