upgrade from 30 to 40Amps electric for induction cooktop

Old 03-08-17, 06:35 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
upgrade from 30 to 40Amps electric for induction cooktop

We purchased our two year old house in 96. At that time the island had a 30”oven and built-in cook-top, a GE Profile. In Nov 2007 I gutted the kitchen and only put in a jenn-air jec9530 cooktop in the island. The Jenn-air installation sheet says to connect to 240/120 electric service. I never had any reason to look at the breaker to the cook-top until now bacause a salesman asked me if I have enough juice to the island. ( it is a double 30 amp breaker and I assume it has 10 gauge wire) The induction cook-top I want to buy says it needs a 40 amp breaker. It’s a GE Monogram zhu30rsjss. We have granite counter-tops and the Monogram fits without needing to re cut the granite. Our electric runs through the concrete foundation to the breaker box 40’ away in the garage. When we bought the house the island had an oven and cook-top running off a 30 amp breaker. My question is do I really need a 40 amp breaker? If so, how hard is it to fish wire through the conduit that is already in the concrete if we can't get to the pipe that is under island? I don’t want to order the cook-top until I know what needs to be done. I really don’t think there is a way to get to that pipe that is sticking out of the concrete now that the island is on top of it.
Here's a bit of info you might need to know about the induction cook-top I want. Thanks in advance for your time.

GE Monogram ZHU30RSJSS Info-
This unit uses power sharing (the left two share and the right two share); sharing elements cannot both achieve the listed max power at the same time, but details are not available from GE.
· 2.5 kW - left front, 7-inch diameter
· 2.5 kW - left back, 7-inch diameter
· 1.8 kW - center, 6-inch diameter
· 3.7 kW - right, 11-inch diameter
• Max Power: 7.4 (64%: uses power sharing)
• Voltage: 240
• Load: 40 Amperes

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-17, 08:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
30 amp for a cooktop and oven was probably never a large enough supply. First you need the verify it is really wired with #10. See if you can find any writing on the wire at either end. It could be be #8 which would be normal and someone just used a 30 amp breaker. If you just can't find any writing buy foot of #10 and #8 THWN, strip the insulation and compare it to the size of the wire in the breaker.

Old 03-09-17, 01:41 PM
T
pics of wiring to cooktop

I took these photos the other day when I had my husband turn the breaker off. Can you tell what the wiring is? I can have him do it again this weekend and get a better photo if you think it might help. Thanks again for your time! I hope I attached these photos right. There are 3 pics. The cooktop is on a breaker by its self. Thanks again!

Name:  under cooktop wiring.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  15.6 KBName:  breaker 2 cooktop.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  33.4 KBName:  cooktop wires to box in island.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 03-09-17, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
Usually you don't see a range splice in with a receptacle. It's just too tight.
The yellow cable is #12 and looks to feed the receptacle. That should be on a 20A breaker.

It's hard to tell if it's a #10 or #8 feed. It looks like #10. I placed an arrow in the picture.
It is pointing to the cable from the panel to that junction box. The wire size should be on it.

Name:  cooktop wires to box in island.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  45.0 KB

Old 03-09-17, 03:17 PM
T
Thanks for your input Pete. I just had a quadruple bypass in August and want to get my moneys worth out of it. lol I'm a bit chicken to take the face plate off the box without shutting off the electric. The receptacle you see in the middle of the photo is for the disposal on the island. This box is under the island sink. I will let my husband know what you have told me and I'll have him shut off all necessary electric going into that box. If I can see any print on wire I'll take another photo. It will be tomorrow before he will have time cause he is going to a Thunder game after work. Thank you so much for this. My heart already feels less stressed and I don't even know if I will be able to replace my cooktop.

Terri

Old 03-10-17, 03:59 PM
T
labeled wiring for induction cooktop

Pete & Ray,
After I moved the receptacle out of the way I could tell that the black cover and green writing did not come from the cooktop. They are from another outlet. There are three outlets in all on the island including the one to the disposal that is seen in all the photos. I marker all the wiring from the cooktop with green dashes. I also took a photo showing the whole picture under the sink with an up-close inset of the wiring that has writing. It looks like it says 600v
I hope this helps. Please let me know what you think. I REALLY appreciate your time!
Terri

Attached Images    
Old 03-10-17, 04:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What we need is the size of the wire to the cook top. As stated earlier look for writing on the wires going to the 30 amp breaker. We need to know if it is #10, #8, or #6. If you can't find any writing either under the cooktop or in the breaker panel get one foot lengths of #10 THHN/THWN and #8 THHN/THWN wire from the hardware store, strip the insulation and compare to the stripped wire that is inserted in to the breaker. If needed to see wire size turn off the main breaker and the stovetop breaker and remove a wire.
I marker all the wiring from the cooktop with green dashes
Did you mean going to the cook top? That is the wire we need to know the size of. Look for the wire in the cabinet directly under the cooktop.See if it is marked.
It looks like it says 600v
Unfortunately that doesn't help.

Old 03-10-17, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
In your pictures I can easily see the cable from the range. That is #8 or possibly #6
#8 would be typical.

What I don't see is the cable that comes from the panel.

I see a black and white wire that are labeled "from receptacle". From what receptacle ?

Old 03-11-17, 01:17 AM
T
Thank you for getting back to me Pete. I was mistaken about the black and white wire that is marked from Outlet. I think that is the line in from the breaker box. I went to Home Depot today and they gave me a small piece of 10 gauge wire. Tomorrow I will take a look at the wiring now that I know that the black and white wires are coming from the breaker box. I'm not confident that I can tell the gauge of the wire though, I will see. Thank you so much for your time.
Terri

Old 03-11-17, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
The black jacket of the cable (circled), and the fact the ground is smaller then the insulated conductors, leads me to also believe you have #8 or #6 wire. Of course, this should be confirmed on site. #10 cable will have an orange jacket.

Name:  cooktop.png
Views: 1634
Size:  590.4 KB

If you go down to the panel you should see the black cable going to it. It will be marked on the outside something like "8/3 w/ground". That will confirm it.

Old 03-11-17, 12:58 PM
T
Being as the house was built in 94, it predates the current jacket color code (introduced in 2001). OP says the kitchen was renovated in 07 but the original appliance feeds were reused. #10 was usually white but I saw it in black in my old house.. Turn off the breaker to the cooktop and unscrew one of those wirenuts. #10 will be solid copper like the ground, while #8 and #6 will be stranded.

Old 03-11-17, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
Then explain the yellow #12 in the picture. Kitchen was gutted in 2007 and NM cable hasn't been black for many years.

Old 03-12-17, 11:40 AM
T
Uhrr it goes to the new outlets that were installed in the island in 2007? The "existing" 12/2 in that box has a white jacket...