Adding towel warmer to bathroom

Old 03-18-17, 08:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding towel warmer to bathroom

I plan to install a hard-wired towel warmer to our en-suite wired to Belkin WeMo light switch. The rating for the warmer is 150W, 1.3A (Amba Radiant Curved from Home Depot).

My question is which circuit I can grab the power from. I am installing in on a shared wall with our bedroom that has a socket on the other side, so can I simply hook into that circuit.

Or can I connect into the existing outlet in the bathroom and extend the circuit over to the warmer wall.

My house is 10 years old, and I am in CT. I just noticed I do not have a GFCI outlet in the bathroom, but I the outlet is connected to a 20 AMP dedicated bathroom GFI circuit with our other 1 and 1/2 bathroom, and there is a GFI outlet in the 1/2 bath (with the buttons).

Any issues I should consider with running a WeMo switch on a GFCI circuit? or I could go for a wired warmer and simply use a timer on an outlet.

Appreciate guidance.

Thanks,
Gus

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-17, 08:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If no other bathrooms or on the same breaker as the receptacles in that bathroom you can use the receptacle in the bathroom. Is it hardwired or plug in. If hardwired does the manufacturer require GFCI protection? Some info on the web seems to indicate sometimes Wemo and GFCI can be problematic.

Old 03-18-17, 08:22 PM
H
Thanks,

The only outlets on the 20A breaker are the three (one in each bathroom).

Unless I am missing something the manufacturers install instructions just say a grounded outlet
http://www.ambaproducts.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

Old 03-18-17, 08:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The only outlets on the 20A breaker are the three (one in each bathroom).
If you are installing another receptacle then it can be off the one you have. In a bathroom receptacles must be GFCI. Wait for one of the pros to comment on Wemo.

Old 03-18-17, 08:43 PM
H
Thanks, I dont understood how the builder passed inspection without GFCI receptacles in 2 of our three bathrooms. Easy to fix.

It will be great to learn if I can use a smart switch on the circuit, or I am open to other ideas on how to get a timer on the towel warmer. If it is not an receptacle, but a hard wired appliance, could I run it off the lighting/fan circuit instead?

Old 03-18-17, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
A GFI in one bathroom could protect multiple bathrooms.

If the Wemo switch doesn't have a neutral then it can't be used.
Apparently some of their controls use ground for the electronics. :NO NO NO:

Old 03-19-17, 06:05 AM
H
Thanks, I just checked and the WeMo switch requires a neutral, so I think i am good go.

Thanks everyone for your help.