safe wiring for outdoor water feature

Old 03-26-17, 01:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
safe wiring for outdoor water feature

HI--I'm looking to wire a water feature without too much work! It's 150' from house and requires a 1400 gph pump. Can I use 2-100' 12-2 gauge extension cords run along a fence with shallow burial for +/- 50' of the way and using water proof connection boxes?

Thanks,
RuthEB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have moved your thread to the electrical section as it is more of an electrical question then a water feature question.

Extension cords are only be used a temporary power and are not allowed to be used in place of permanent wiring. I understand the desire for a simple solution but what you propose would be unsafe.

The best thing to do is to run some 12/2 UF cable 12" deep in the ground and GFCI protect it at the house. Then at the water feature install a 4x4 post, PVC conduit to protect the wiring, and a weather proof box with in-use cover. Or a post like this: Arlington | GP19B Product Information

Old 03-27-17, 08:03 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What makes the above safe is the installation of a GFCI outlet to power this AT THE HOUSE.

GFCI outlets (or breakers) will instantly shut themselves off (Test/Reset button) if someone is electrocuted. The person would not even feel a shock!

And for a backyard, these will also protect animals, like a dog, which like to chew on extension cords.

So don't forget about Fido!

Old 03-27-17, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
A person can still be shocked even if the gfi is wired correctly. It should shutdown before a fatal shock is received.