Running 220V through attic

Old 03-29-17, 02:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running 220V through attic

Hi fellows,

I have a question, i searched a little bit but couldnt find a proper answer. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we decided to put the double oven to the island where i have 220V there. This is a 1970ies split level home. The oven will most likely require 40AMP(maybe 30 depending on what she decides )

my question is can i run a UF cable from wall to attic and through the attic to other side of the house and straigt down to service panel in a pvc conduit which is in the garage?

I found out the code about running cables through attic if you have direct access or not but couldnt find anything about running wire through an exterior wall back to interior again.

Also if she decides to have the microwave on the island, it requires its individual circuit so can i run 2 pairs of UF cables through the same conduit or do they need to be in their own?

Thanks a lot again

Old 03-29-17, 02:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Nominal voltages are 120v and 240 volts. Some ovens require 240v only, two hots and a ground but some require 120/240 volts, two hots - one neutral and ground. Best to use the latter for future proofing.
can i run a UF cable from wall to attic and through the attic to other side of the house and straight down to service panel in a pvc conduit
Yes but unless it runs outside normally you would NM-b. If the conduit is outside you could transition to THWN where it goes outside.
Also if she decides to have the microwave on the island, it requires its individual circuit so can i run 2 pairs of UF cables through the same conduit or do they need to be in their own?
You can have multiple circuits in the same conduit.

UF cable is difficult to work with. Where allowed NM-b is easier. In continuous conduit going into boxes on both ends individual wires such as THWN are easier to use than cable though either can be used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: