Burying a junction box....

Old 03-29-17, 09:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burying a junction box....

If it has no actual splice, can you do it? I'm splitting my house into two units, and all of the wiring is in conduit - most of which is set in concrete. There are several junction boxes in the basement ceiling and walls for lights and receptacles. I completely rewired the house a couple years ago so I know exactly how the conduit is laid out.

I am installing new service with a double meter pan, and a new breaker panel outside for the first floor (currently in the basement, needs to be accessible to the tenant). I am going to use the existing conduit for the first floor circuits and install a large junction where the current breaker box is to extend the circuits to the new box. The basement will be framed and wired with Romex and new devices to a new indoor panel. None of the actual basement wiring will go through the conduit.

If I simply run the wiring THROUGH the existing junction boxes uninterrupted, can I cover them and bury them in the ceilings/walls or do I still have to have access panels?

Old 03-29-17, 10:26 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If the box is used as a "pull point" or if the conductors make any turns in the box then it MUST remain accessible.

Old 03-30-17, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A little confusing. IF you aren't using any of the conduit, why are you using the junction boxes? I am assuming you are rewiring using NM-B.

Old 03-30-17, 03:12 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The conduit still needs to be used for the first floor wiring but I'm going to remove all of the basement wiring from it. The basement is going to be framed out and wired with Romex.

Thanks Joel, that's sort of what I figured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: