EMT to No EMT

Old 04-02-17, 07:51 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
EMT to No EMT

Hi All,

I was wondering whether I can run a romex 12/2 cable from an existing metal box that is on an exposed brick wall to a new outlet that would be located behind a finished wall, without the use of EMT?

If so, my plan would be to run EMT from the metal box, up to the point the wall joins to the finished wall (plasterboard/studs). From this point (where it enters the wall) i would drill through the studs and run the cable without EMT.

Given that the new box would be a retrofit plastic box, i wouldn't need to ground to the new box.

Does this present any issues?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 04-02-17, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Your plan is fine. The EMT on the brick would be there for protection as required by code. Just remember to install some kind of bushing (connector, coupling or other bushing) on the end of the pipe that is entering the wall cavity. Also the ground needs to be connected to the metal box where the EMT starts.

Old 04-02-17, 08:10 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No problem. That is called sleeving and is done all the time. You do need to put a bushing on the end of the EMT where the NM-b exits. Examples: https://www.cableorganizer.com/arlin...ings/#features
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gampak-4-Pa...ushing/3418804

Old 04-02-17, 05:44 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you both, extremely helpful. I've been reading a lot but I couldn't find this specific guidance regarding the transition from EMT to cavity wall.

I opened up the existing outlet today to check the existing wiring. I was hoping to confirm the 12/2 wiring, but I wasn't sure. Is there a reliable way of determining the correct gauge or wiring on the existing circuit, so that I can match it with the new wiring?

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-17, 06:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What size breaker? Look for writing on the wire in the breaker box if it is individual wires in conduit.

Old 04-02-17, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Easiest way is to compare it to a known gauge of wire, check the outside of the cable/wire for marking, or use a pair of wire strippers to see what hole the wire will fit in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: